If you want to please everyone at the dinner table, then our creamy pierogi casserole is the dish to make. This easy dish can be a side or an entree with its pillowy soft potato pierogi at the center. A simple creamy sauce and tons of shredded cheese create a delicious dish that is a fun spin on a Polish classic!
Creamy Pierogi Casserole Recipe
This pierogi casserole recipe is prepped in just 10 minutes, cooked in 40, and ready to eat in under an hour. The layered flavors of cream cheese, sour cream, chicken stock, and potato pierogies are cozy and the perfect homemade vegetarian meal. It’s topped with sliced green onions which add color, texture, and a bright flavor to the end.
- 1 pound (500g) frozen potato pierogi: You can find pierogies in the freezer section of the grocery store. If you prefer, you can make homemade pierogi, but it is time-consuming, so plan in advance.
- 2 tablespoon water: A little water will help the pierogies to thaw in the microwave.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil: Oil keeps the pierogies from sticking to each other.
- 7 oz (200g) cream cheese: You can use full-fat or low-fat cream cheese in this recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream: Organic or regular sour cream can be found in the dairy section of the supermarket.
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock: Use the best stock you can find or make it yourself at home.
- 1 cup shredded cheese: Sharp white cheddar cheese is perfect for this recipe.
- scallions for serving: Sliced scallions add a fresh, green touch to this creamy dish.
Kitchen Tools Used
How to make creamy pierogi casserole:
Prepare your chosen baking dish by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray. I recommend a classic 9"x13" baking dish for this recipe.
1. Preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
2. Mix frozen pierogi with water and vegetable oil. Microwave for 5 minutes or until defrosted.
3. Carefully separate pierogi from one another and transfer them into the baking pan.
4. Whisk cream cheese with sour cream, chicken stock, and shredded cheese.
5. Top pierogi with cheese mixture and bake for 30-35 minutes.
6. Serve topped with sliced scallions.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Traditionally Served with Pierogi?
Most would serve pierogi with the classic sour cream on the side or on top. Fresh chives or green onions are another classic addition.
This recipe includes that plus extra cheese over the pierogi so you get a little of everything in each bite. You can also use cottage cheese or Greek yogurt on the side with plain pierogi if desired.
Can I make pierogi casserole in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can use a crockpot to make this dish. Place all the ingredients in the bowl of the slow cooker, stir, cover, and cook on low for up to six hours or on high for two hours.
What can I top this creamy casserole with?
In addition to green onions, you can use breadcrumbs, fried onion strings, chives, or a layer of crumbled Ritz crackers as a "crust" on top.
Can I Make Pierogi Casserole a Main Dish?
While this is a tasty vegetarian dish that can be eaten as the main course, you can also add meat like sliced kielbasa, sausage, shredded chicken, ground beef, bacon, or ham to fill out it even more. The savory flavors of meats like these really bring this dish together which can serve even more people.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best creamy pierogi casserole you've ever had.
- Try different flavors of pierogi when possible for added flavor. Cheese, bacon, and a combination of herbs are all options in the freezer pierogi.
- Sprinkle the top with cooked and crumbled bacon before serving.
- Add chopped ham to the casserole before baking for added protein.
- Mix in broccoli florets with the sauce before baking. Other vegetables that pair well with pierogi include spinach, asparagus, and cabbage.
What Goes with Pierogi Casserole?
This casserole can be served as a main dish or a side dish, either way, you may want to add some additional dishes that balance the flavors and textures.
When served as a side dish, this pairs well with most protein entrees, but especially nicely with lighter fare such as roasted chicken or grilled meat. Ify you plan to serve this as the main dish, then a side of salad, your favorite roasted vegetables, and a dinner roll or bread are great choices.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later.
Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
More Side Dish Casseroles
If you need more recipe inspiration, you'll love our other easy side dishes. No matter what you need, there is something on this list to add to your meal plan. Make sure that you bookmark these, print out the recipes, or pin them to Pinterest to make soon!
- Green Bean Casserole
- Asparagus Casserole
- Cheesy Corn Casserole
- Cauliflower Casserole
- Scalloped Potato Casserole
- String Bean and Mushroom Casserole
- Spinach Casserole
- 1 pound pierogi (500g)
- 2 tablespoons water (30ml)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (15ml)
- 7 ounces cream cheese, softened (200g)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (125g)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock (125ml)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (235g)
- 3 green onions, diced (for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
- Mix frozen pierogi with water and vegetable oil. Microwave for 5 minutes or until defrosted.
- Carefully separate the pierogi from one another and transfer them into the baking pan.
- Whisk cream cheese with sour cream, chicken stock, and shredded cheese.
- Top pierogi with cheese mixture and bake for 30-35 minutes
- Serve topped with sliced scallions.
Sprinkle the top with cooked and crumbled bacon when serving for an added bit of texture and flavor.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
STAUB Ceramics Oval Baking Dish, 9-inch, Dark Blue
Anchor Hocking Oven Basics Glass Baking Dishes, Rectangular Value Pack, Set of 2
GreenLife Bakeware Healthy Ceramic Nonstick, 13" x 9" Rectangular Cake Baking Pan, PFAS-Free, Turquoise
Plastic Measuring Cups and Spoons Set 14 Piece. Includes 11 Colorful Measuring Cups and Spoons Set and 3 Plastic Liquid Measuring Cups. Nesting Measuring Set for Space Saving Storage. Dishwasher-Safe
M KITCHEN WORLD Silicone Spatula for Cooking 4 Pieces - Rubber Spatulas Heat Resistant, Baking Spatula Scraper, Spatula Set for Nonstick Cookware, Dishwasher Safe Kitchen Utensils for Mixing - Orange
COOK WITH COLOR Plastic Mixing Bowls with Lids - 12 Piece Nesting Bowls Set includes 6 Prep Bowls and 6 Lids, Microwave Safe Mixing Bowl Set (Blue Ombre)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 610Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 932mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 17g