Green Bean Casserole is a classic side dish made for Thanksgiving dinners all over the States. The creamy homemade flavors of green beans, cream of mushroom soup, garlic, cheddar, and crispy fried onion strings are exactly what you need to make this traditionally southern dish.
What is Green Bean Casserole?
This green bean casserole recipe is easy to make from scratch with simple ingredients you can readily find at the grocery store. The best green bean casseroles are timeless yet delicious. The beans are cooked but firm and not at all soggy. This dish should be crunchy and flavorful with every bite.
- 2 tablespoons butter: You can use salted or unsalted butter here since the little extra salt won’t make this dish overly salty.
- 1 pound green beans: Find fresh beans that are firm and not withered on the ends.
- Salt and pepper to taste: Use your judgment to determine how much salt and pepper the dish needs.
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced: You can mince or slice the garlic. Either option will work great.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream of mushroom soup: Canned soup makes this dish creamy.
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded: You can buy pre-shredded cheese or a block of cheese and shred it yourself.
- 1 cup fried onions: French’s fried onions are the brand of choice, or you can make these yourself at home.
How to make Green Bean Casserole :
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Melt butter and saute green beans for 5 minutes, to heat them through.
3. Add salt and pepper, sliced garlic, and stir for 1 minute.
4. Pour in the cream of mushroom soup and cheese. Mix to combine.
5. Transfer the green bean mixture into a baking dish and top with fried onions.
6. Bake at 180C/350F for 10 minutes.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best green bean casserole you've ever had.
- To make this dish even more creamy add four ounces of softened cream cheese.
- Instead of using fried onions, try a twist and place tater tots on top.
- Campbell’s soup is the brand of cream of mushroom soup we use, but you can use your favorite brand as well.
What kind of meat can I add to Green Bean Casserole?
If you’re looking to add some meat to your side dish, try cooked, crumbled bacon bits, cooked ground sausage, or chopped chicken. Any of these would make a delicious addition to your green bean casserole.
How can I make this dish dairy-free?
Looking to make this casserole dairy-free? No problem. You can make it without cream of mushroom soup, butter, or cheese to make this dish healthy. If you make it without these additions, you might want to saute the green beans instead of baking them and sprinkle some toasted and sliced almonds on top.
Can I make this casserole gluten-free?
The only gluten in this recipe is in the cream of mushroom soup. You can easily leave that out and replace it with sour cream or cream cheese to make this dish gluten-free.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and then plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. This will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, without thawing first, it will take longer to cook in the oven. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
Can I use canned green beans?
This recipe uses fresh beans, but you can use canned or frozen if you’d like instead. You’ll get the best flavor and texture from fresh green beans, however.
Can I make this dish in the crock pot?
Yes, you can use a slow cooker for this casserole. Follow the instructions through number four, pour the mixture into the greased bowl of the crockpot, place the lid on, and cook for three to four hours.
How can I make green bean casserole keto-friendly?
To make this casserole keto-friendly, remove the cream of mushroom soup and replace it with sour cream or cream cheese.
Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean Casserole is a classic side dish made for Thanksgiving dinners. It's made with green beans, soup, garlic, and fried onions.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound green beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup fried onions
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Melt butter and saute green beans for 5 minutes, to heat them through.
Add salt and pepper, sliced garlic, and stir for 1 minute.
Pour in the cream of mushroom soup and cheese. Mix to combine.
Transfer the green bean mixture into a baking dish and top with fried onions.
Bake for 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 817mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 12g
Leave a Reply