Slow Cooker Beef Casserole is a savory and healthy dish filled with beef, onions, garlic, carrots, broth, tomato paste, chili flakes, rosemary, and red wine. The flavors are allowed to simmer together for eight hours which creates a fully developed and delicious meal.
- What is Slow Cooker Beef Casserole?
- Video Recipe
- How to make slow cooker beef casserole:
- Tips for success:
- What can I serve with this casserole?
- Can I make this dish in an instant pot?
- What other ingredients can I add to this slow cooker beef casserole?
- How to store:
- Slow Cooker Beef Casserole
What is Slow Cooker Beef Casserole?
This beef casserole recipe is perfect for a long and slow roast. You can start it in the morning and then have it ready to eat with no other work at dinner time. Since the cooking is done in the morning, there is only one pot and your plates to clear up after dinner which makes dinner even easier.
The beef is simmered in red wine and beef broth until it’s tender enough to fall apart. The onions, rosemary, garlic, carrots, and tomato paste all combine to make a wonderfully rich and savory meal. You don’t need to make a side to go with this meal since it’s complete by itself, however, mashed potatoes or egg noodles would go great with it.
- 2 pounds (1kg) beef roast: You can use a chuck roast for this.
- vegetable oil: Any neutral oil will work for sauteing the ingredients.
- 1 large white onion, sliced into 8 sections: White onions are perfect for slow roasting.
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed: Make sure the garlic is not dry when you peel off the skin and still smells strong.
- 2 carrots, sliced: Wash the carrots before slicing, but there’s no need to peel them.
- 2 cups (500ml) beef broth: Beef broth is rich and provides great flavor.
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste: You can buy this in a can or tube. It freezes well in a plastic container or freezer bag so there’s no waste.
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes: Chili flakes are optional but they add a delicious spiciness.
- 1 rosemary sprig: You can use fresh or dried rosemary in this recipe.
- 2 cups (500ml) dry red wine: Try not to buy the cheapest or most expensive bottle of wine at the store. The wine provides excellent flavor, so you want to make sure it can hold up in the dish.
How to make slow cooker beef casserole:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Coat a large pan with vegetable oil and cook beef slices over high heat until golden on both sides.
3. Remove beef from the pan and add more oil if needed to coat the bottom of it.
4. Add carrots, garlic, and onion. Cook until golden, leaving the heat on high.
5. Pour in 1 cup of wine and wait until it starts to boil, stir in tomato paste.
6. Transfer beef slices into the slow cooker. Pour in vegetables, leftover wine, and 2 cups of beef broth.
7. Add pepper and rosemary. Cover with a lid and cook on HIGH for 6-8 hours or until bones start falling apart from meat.
8. Remove bones and rosemary spring. Break meat apart using 2 forks. Serve with some mashed potatoes or any favorite side.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best slow cooker beef casserole you've ever had.
- Use chicken or vegetable broth if you don’t have beef broth.
- Red pepper flakes are optional for adding spice to the dish.
- Add more garlic if you really like a strong garlic flavor.
What can I serve with this casserole?
While this dish is amazing on its own, you can serve it with side dishes. Since it’s made in a slow cooker, you can still use the oven to make them. Some ideas include mashed potatoes, egg noodles, rice, roasted vegetables, pasta salad, or fruit salad.
Can I make this dish in an instant pot?
Yes, you can make this casserole in a pressure cooker. Since the Instant Pot has a saute function, you can do everything in one pot. After sauteing the beef and vegetables, seal the lid, set the time to 60 minutes, and allow to cook. When it’s done, carefully release the steam, remove the lid, and serve immediately.
What other ingredients can I add to this slow cooker beef casserole?
If you want to add other vegetables, you can definitely do so. Some great options include potatoes, celery, squash, mushrooms, and other root vegetables. Anything that will hold up to a slow cooker for so many hours.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
Can I use ground beef instead of a roast?
You don’t need to use a beef roast here. You can use ground beef instead for a different flavor and texture.
I don’t like an ingredient, can I leave it out?
You can always substitute or leave out ingredients depending on your tastes and preferences. Keep in mind that some of the ingredients add to the overall flavor so your casserole may taste different when it’s finished.
Do I need to use wine to make this casserole?
No, but it won’t have the same rich flavors. The alcohol cooks off and there are only trace amounts left.
- 2 pounds (1kg) beef (Osso Bucco)
- vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, sliced into 8 sections
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 cups (500ml) beef broth
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 rosemary spring
- 2 cups (500ml) dry red wine
- Coat a large pan with vegetable oil and cook beef slices over high heat until golden on both sides.
- Remove beef from the pan and add more oil if needed to coat the bottom of it.
- Add carrots, garlic, and onion. Cook until golden, leaving the heat on high.
- Pour in 1 cup of wine and wait until it starts to boil, stir in tomato paste.
- Transfer beef slices into the slow cooker. Pour in vegetables, leftover wine and 2
cups of beef broth.
- Add pepper and rosemary. Cover with a lid and cook on HIGH for 6-8 hours or until
bones start falling apart from meat.
- Remove bones and rosemary spring. Break meat apart using 2 forks. Serve with some mashed potatoes or any favorite side.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 85Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 97mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g