Corn Casserole is an easy side dish made with corn, white sauce, cheese, and butter. This recipe can be made from scratch in just 30 minutes and all the ingredients can be pulled right from your pantry. You’ll love how easy it is to pull this dish together and serve it to your family and friends.
What is Corn Casserole?
This corn casserole recipe is the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or holiday parties. It’s made without sour cream and without creamed corn but instead with a homemade white sauce. This sauce is made with butter, flour, and milk and simmered until it coats the back of a spoon. The other ingredients are then added and the mixture is poured into a baking dish and sprinkled with cheese. It’s baked until bubbly, golden brown, and cheesy.
- 14 ounces corn: Corn kernels give this dish a crunchy texture in every bite.
- 1 2⁄3 cup milk, 1⁄3 cup flour, 2 tablespoons butter: These ingredients combine to make a white sauce that makes this casserole moist.
- 3 eggs: Use large grade A eggs here.
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese: A cheesy corn casserole is irresistible and delicious.
- Salt and pepper to taste: A little seasoning goes a long way.
How to make corn casserole:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven.
2. In a medium pan melt butter.
3. Add flour into it.
4. Mix until crumbs form.
5. Pour in milk, while whisking constantly.
6. When the sauce becomes smooth, cook it, whisking, for 5 minutes.
7. Pour the milk sauce into the bowl with the corn.
8. Add the seasonings.
9. Add in the cheese.
10. Add in the eggs.
11. Pour the mixture into a baking pan, top with parmesan cheese, and bake at 180C/350F for 40 minutes.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best corn casserole you've ever had.
- You can make this dish spicy by adding diced jalapeno or poblano peppers.
- Try using different cheeses for a fun twist. Some options are gruyere, goat, feta, Havarti, pepper jack, or Monterey Jack.
- Add some shredded potatoes or hash browns to the dish to make it more filling and even tastier.
Can I make this casserole in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can make this dish in a crockpot. Follow the directions through number four and then pour the ingredients into the greased slow cooker bowl, place the lid on top, and set the temperature to high for three to four hours.
How can I make corn casserole a breakfast dish?
If you’d like to eat this casserole for breakfast, you can easily add some ingredients to transform it. Some ideas include potatoes, mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, garlic, bacon, or onions. A big scoop of this casserole will make an amazing breakfast.
What kinds of corn can I use in this casserole?
There are lots of different options to choose from when deciding which type of corn to use for this casserole. Any of them will work depending on what you want your casserole to taste like. Here are some ideas:
- Mexican street corn
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and then plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. This will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, without thawing first, it will take longer to cook in the oven. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
Can I make this dish with creamed corn?
You can definitely make this corn casserole with creamed corn. The recipe calls for corn kernels since they add a bit more texture, but you can add that in other ways if you’d like.
How can I make corn casserole creamier?
If you really like a creamy casserole add a small amount of one of these ingredients: cream cheese, sour cream, or heavy cream.
How can I make this casserole crunchier?
Add a little crunchy texture to this dish by sprinkling the top with corn flakes or bread crumbs before baking.
- 14 ounces frozen corn
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a medium-sized pan melt butter and add flour into it. Mix until crumbs form, then start pouring in milk in portions, while whisking constantly.
- When the sauce becomes smooth, cook it, whisking, for 5 minutes.
- Combine milk sauce with corn, eggs, shredded cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into a baking pan, top with parmesan cheese, and bake for 40 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 362mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 13g