This creamy chicken crescent casserole is the ideal dish that can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Your favorite ready-made crescent roll dough is the base and topping with an herbed cheese and chicken mixture in the center. It's hardy, easy to prepare, and kid-friendly! A perfect casserole to serve or assemble and freeze as a make-ahead meal!
Crescent Roll Chicken Casserole
I love casseroles and bakes with crescent roll dough as a base. It's so easy to use, holds up well to saucy items, and is super flaky. This crescent roll bake is a perfect addition to your meal plan.
You can make the chicken crescent casserole ahead of time and refrigerate it overnight to cook the next day. Or, you can make a few batches, wrap them, and freeze them for a fast future meal. The best part? This can be adjusted with tons of different flavors super easily!
Want another easy chicken casserole? Check out this chicken tortilla casserole. It's another family favorite in our house!
- 1 pound (500g) ground chicken: You can find the ground chicken in the meat section of the grocery store or you can make your own with a meat grinder at home.
- 1 cup cream cheese: Soften the cream cheese before adding it to the dish.
- 1 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese: Cheddar cheese pairs well with the other ingredients in this dish.
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs: You can find a bottle of Italian herbs in the spice section of the grocery store or you can make your own with dried basil, oregano, and parsley.
- salt and pepper: Add a little seasoning to enhance the flavor of the other ingredients.
- 2 sheets crescent pastry: Crescent roll dough is light and flaky and perfect in this recipe. If using canned crescent roll dough, you will need 2 cans.
- egg wash: Combine one egg and one tablespoon of water and whisk to make egg wash.
Kitchen Tools Used
How to Make Chicken Crescent Casserole
Before you begin, I recommend you spray your 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick spray. This will make sure nothing sticks and you can get clean slices out of the pan when ready to serve. Then, you will want to make sure your cream cheese is softened and the pastry is ready to use.
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C.
2. Heat up some olive oil in a medium skillet and cook minced chicken for 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and herbs.
3. Mix cooked chicken with cream cheese and shredded cheese.
4. Roll out 1 sheet of crescent pastry to cover the bottom of your pan. Poke holes using a fork. If using the canned variety that is individual rolls, you will need to unroll and press them into the bottom of the pan.
5. Bake the pastry base for 10 minutes (it’s ok if it shrinks up a little).
6. Place cooked chicken on top of the pastry base.
7. Wrap the other piece of crescent dough around the chicken mixture.
8. Poke the dough with a fork and brush with egg wash.
9. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do I Have to Use Crescent Roll Dough?
If for some reason you do not have access to a ready-made unbaked crescent roll dough, that is okay. This can be made with puff pastry or a basic pie crust. While the crescent dough adds a buttery richness, both of the others work just as well.
Can I make a gluten-free crescent chicken casserole?
Yes, you can make this dish without gluten. If you can find a ready-made gluten-free dough, that is all the change you need. Immaculate Baking has a few options that would work well. You can also make your own homemade gluten-free crescent rolls for this if you prefer.
What can I serve with a chicken crescent casserole?
Add a side dish to go along with this dish. Some options include steamed vegetables, fruit salad, green salad, or crusty white bread. You can also serve this alongside our string bean and mushroom casserole as a tasty combination!
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best creamy chicken crescent casserole you've ever had.
- Swap the Italian herbs with Mexican seasonings to give this a south-of-the-border flavor.
- Instead of using cream cheese, you can substitute one cup of alfredo sauce for a richer flavor. Just note that this will have a looser filling, so it may not slice as nicely.
- Make sure to spray the pan before putting the dough into it to make sure it doesn't burn or stick on the bottom.
- Parchment paper inside the baking dish makes it easier to lift out as a whole piece for slicing.
Like tips like this? Then check out my latest cookbook, The Complete Cookbook for Beginners. This book is filled with essential skills and step-by-step techniques that are ideal for new home cooks.
Can I Use Different Meat Than Ground Chicken?
If you can’t find ground chicken you can use other types of protein instead. This can be made with ground turkey, ground pork, or ground beef. You can also use shredded pork or shredded chicken, such as you would have leftovers from a rotisserie chicken.
Other options that might be good include smoked salmon, cooked ham, chorizo, or even crumbled bacon.
Tips for Storing Leftover Crescent Roll Casserole
Leftovers of this casserole can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. If you don't think you will be able to consume it by then, you will want to wrap and freeze the extra. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
To store, allow the casserole to cool completely before wrapping in plastic wrap. You can also slice and store in refrigerator storage containers that are airtight if preferred.
When freezing, you can do so either before or after it is baked. For both methods, I recommend wrapping the casserole in plastic wrap, then a layer of aluminum foil. Add the date, recipe name, and any baking directions, and freeze for up to 3 months.
More Chicken Casseroles
Chicken is popular for a reason - it's versatile and affordable! If you need more inspiration for chicken on your menu, look no further than some of our favorites listed below. Add these to the menu, bookmark them for later, print out the recipes, or even just pin them to Pinterest to make soon!
- Chicken Poppyseed Casserole
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- BBQ Spiced Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Chicken Stuffing Casserole
- Italian Chicken Casserole
- 1 pound ground chicken (500g)
- 1 cup cream cheese (225g)
- 1 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese (350g)
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb blend (2g)
- 1 teaspoon salt (6g)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (1.5g)
- 2 sheets crescent pastry (or 2x 8 count cans)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water (15ml)
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
- Heat up some olive oil in a medium skillet and cook minced chicken for 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and herbs.
- Mix cooked chicken with cream cheese and shredded cheese.
- Roll out 1 sheet of crescent pastry to cover the bottom of your pan. Poke holes using a fork.
- Bake the pastry base for 10 minutes (it’s ok if it shrinks up a little).
- Place cooked chicken on top of the pastry base, cover with another sheet of rolled-out pastry, making sure to tuck the edges underneath the base layer to cover the filling completely.
- Poke the dough with a fork and brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
Use ground turkey in place of chicken if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
STAUB Ceramics Oval Baking Dish, 9-inch, Dark Blue
GreenLife Bakeware Healthy Ceramic Nonstick, 13" x 9" Rectangular Cake Baking Pan, PFAS-Free, Turquoise
Plastic Measuring Cups and Spoons Set 14 Piece. Includes 11 Colorful Measuring Cups and Spoons Set and 3 Plastic Liquid Measuring Cups. Nesting Measuring Set for Space Saving Storage. Dishwasher-Safe
OXO Good Grips 3- Piece Wooden Utensil Set
Amazon Basics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven, 7.3-Quart, Red
Blue Diamond Cookware Diamond Infused Ceramic Nonstick, 14" Large Frying Pan with Helper Handle, PFAS-Free, Dishwasher Safe, Oven Safe, Blue
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 488Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 192mgSodium: 814mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 29g