Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is an easy and delicious dish made with shredded chicken, ham, white sauce, mustard, parmesan, and breadcrumbs. This layered and creamy casserole is a fun way to get the original tasty flavors of Chicken Cordon Bleu. This version is easily made on a weeknight when you don’t have time to make the original but still want to eat something amazing.
- What is Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole?
- Video Recipe
- How to make chicken cordon bleu casserole :
- Tips for success:
- Is this chicken cordon bleu casserole keto-friendly?
- What else can I add to this casserole dish?
- Can I make this dish in the Crockpot?
- How to store:
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Recipe
What is Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole?
This chicken cordon bleu casserole recipe takes the traditional dish and makes it easily accessible to you when you’re in a rush and want something quick and easy. This deconstructed dish can also be made ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen until you’re ready to bake it.
- 5 cups shredded chicken: You can poach two chicken breasts and shred them or use rotisserie chicken here. Whichever is easiest for you.
- 1 cup ham: The best ham to use is thick bone-in ham that you would normally get for a holiday meal.
- 4 tablespoons butter and ¼ cup flour: These form a roux when allowed to cook together for a few minutes. It’s the base for most white sauces.
- 2 cups milk: When you add milk to the roux and simmer, it will create a thicker sauce that’s perfect for this casserole and other dishes.
- 1 teaspoon mustard: Chicken Cordon Bleu is classically made with mustard and just wouldn’t be the same without it.
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese: Cheese will make the top melty and bubbly.
- ½ cup breadcrumbs: These become golden and add a crunchy texture that helps balance out the other smoother textures in the casserole.
How to make chicken cordon bleu casserole :
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Whisk the butter and flour together to form a roux.
3. Pour in the milk and whisk.
4. Cook the sauce for 10 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
5. Add in the seasonings to the sauce.
6. Mix the sauce with chicken and half of the ham.
7. Combine the breadcrumbs with the melted butter.
8. Transfer into the baking pan and top with the leftover ham then sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top of the casserole.
9. Bake until golden and bubbly.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best chicken cordon bleu casserole you've ever had.
- If you don’t have time to make the sauce or just want to take a shortcut, you can use cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, or cream cheese.
- The instant pot is another cooking method you can use. Follow the directions, pour the casserole into the pressure cooker, place the lid on, set it to cook for 10 minutes, then use the quick release to release the pressure.
- Try using other cheeses like gruyere, Havarti, mozzarella, swiss, or provolone for a bolder flavor.
Is this chicken cordon bleu casserole keto-friendly?
Yes! This recipe is completely keto-friendly. It’s important to be able to make a dish that fits with your food requirements that also tastes great and that your whole family will love. This casserole checks all the boxes. This creamy and comforting casserole will be your new favorite dish even while sticking to your low-carb keto diet.
What else can I add to this casserole dish?
You can definitely add different ingredients to make this casserole your own. It’s always a good idea to adjust a recipe to your tastes. If you make a dish exactly as the recipe indicates even though you don’t like one of the ingredients, you won’t eat the dish. That’s just sad.
In light of that, add what you like. Try rice, pasta, corn, mushrooms, onions, garlic, or squash.
Can I make this dish in the Crockpot?
Yes, you can also make this dish in a crockpot by following the normal instructions and then spreading the casserole in the pot of a greased slow cooker. You may want to use a crockpot cooking bag designed for easier removal of food.
You’ll then place the lid on, set it to high, and cook for three to four hours. Serve it hot.
How to store:
If you have any leftover spaghetti casserole, you can save it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. To reheat it, just place it in the microwave and heat in 30-second increments until it’s heated all the way through.
You can also make this dish ahead of time and freeze it until you’re ready to use it. Wrap it in aluminum foil and then plastic wrap. Label it with the date, name, and baking instructions so you won’t forget in the future. Remember, if you make it from frozen, it will take longer to bake in the oven.
Can you put raw chicken in this casserole?
You can use raw chicken chunks because it will most likely cook through, but it won’t be very flavorful. The reason you cook it beforehand is so that you can control the flavor and make sure it’s as tasty as possible.
Also, if you don’t cut the chicken small enough or cook it long enough, the chicken may not cook all the way through. If you do use this method, make sure to check that the temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
What’s the difference between chicken kiev and chicken cordon bleu?
Chicken Cordon Bleu is stuffed with ham and cheese while Chicken Kiev is stuffed with chilled butter.
What is cordon bleu sauce made of?
This sauce is made of a roux of butter and flour which is cooked until thick like a paste. Then the milk is poured in, whisked, and the mixture is simmered for 10 minutes until it’s thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- 5 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup ham, cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons parmesan, shredded
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Whisk melted butter with flour and cook the mixture for 1 minute. Pour in milk and whisk to combine until no lumps are left.
- Cook the sauce for 10 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- Mix the sauce with chicken and half of the ham.
- Transfer into the baking pan and top with leftover ham.
- Combine breadcrumbs with 2 tablespoons of melted butter, then sprinkle everything on top of the casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180C/350F.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 483Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 158mgSodium: 531mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 37g