Chicken Poppy Seed Casserole is a comforting dish made with chicken thighs, sour cream, soup, cream cheese, crackers, and poppy seeds. The delicious combination of these flavors makes a casserole your whole family will love. Bring it to your next potluck or holiday party for easy addition to the meal.
- What is Chicken Poppy Seed Casserole?
- Video Recipe
- How to make chicken poppy seed casserole :
- Tips for success:
- Can I make this casserole in a crockpot?
- How can I make chicken poppy seed casserole in an instant pot?
- How can I make this dish healthier?
- How to store:
- Chicken and Poppy Seed Casserole
What is Chicken Poppy Seed Casserole?
This chicken poppy seed casserole recipe is creamy, made with three different varieties of cream; sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, and cream cheese. It’s topped with crushed crackers which provides a balanced crunchy texture. The poppy seeds make a bright and cheery addition to an already fantastic meal.
- 5 cups chicken thighs, cooked and shredded: Chicken thighs are perfect for this recipe because they are moist and have rich flavor.
- 1 cup sour cream: Use whole milk sour cream and not non-fat.
- 1 cup cream of mushroom soup: Campbell’s soup is a great brand for this soup.
- 1 cup cream cheese: Cheddar or mozzarella cheese work best for this casserole.
- 1 cup crackers, crushed: Ritz or Club crackers are buttery and crunchy when crumbled.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil: Use any neutral oil here like, avocado, grapeseed, canola, or vegetable.
- 2 tablespoon poppy seeds: You can buy poppy seeds in a small bottle in the baking aisle of the grocery store or you can buy a big bottle online.
How to make chicken poppy seed casserole :
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Combine chicken with sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, and cream cheese. Check for salt and add if needed.
3. Combine cracker crumbs with olive oil and poppy seeds.
4. Spread chicken mixture in the baking pan and top with crumbs.
5. Bake for 20 minutes.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best chicken poppy seed casserole you've ever had.
- Instead of using crushed crackers, you can top the casserole with slivered almonds. They are crunchy and taste amazing when toasted.
- Add some other ingredients like rice, broccoli, mushrooms, or small pasta to the dish to make it really stand out.
Can I make this casserole in a crockpot?
Yes, you can make this chicken poppy seed casserole in the crockpot. If you have some extra time or just love smelling your food cook all day, making it in the slow cooker is a great option.
Follow the recipe, combine the ingredients, then pour the mixture into a crockpot. Place the lid on, set to low, and cook for eight hours.
Top with the crushed crackers before serving.
How can I make chicken poppy seed casserole in an instant pot?
You can also make this dish in your pressure cooker if you’d like. Place the combined ingredients in the bowl, seal the lid, set to cook on high for 10 minutes. Use the quick-release valve to release the pressure. Remove the lid, top with the crushed crackers, and then serve hot.
How can I make this dish healthier?
If you’re looking to make this casserole healthier, there are some things you can do. Choose one cream (sour cream, cream cheese, or soup) and substitute the other two with chicken broth.
You can also add more vegetables like, green beans, asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, eggplant, or broccoli.
Top with chopped nuts like walnuts, pecans, or almonds instead of the crackers.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
What other meat can I use in this dish?
If you don’t have any chicken thighs, you can use chicken breasts or sauteed ground chicken instead.
How can I make this casserole spicy?
Add a little spice to your casserole. Try using jalapenos, chili peppers, cayenne pepper, serranos, poblanos, or dried chili peppers.
What kinds of cheese can I use in chicken poppy seed casserole?
There are many different kinds of cheese you can use with this dish. Try pepper jack, Monterey jack, or parmesan.
- 5 cups chicken thighs, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup crackers, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine chicken with sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, and cream cheese. Check for salt and add if needed.
- Combine cracker crumbs with olive oil and poppy seeds.
- Spread chicken mixture in the baking pan and top with crumbs.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 862Total Fat: 70gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 43gCholesterol: 305mgSodium: 676mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 50g