BBQ-Spiced Chicken and Rice Casserole is a tasty dish filled with onions, chicken, rice, broccoli, cream, cheddar cheese, chicken stock, and BBQ seasoning. This cheesy recipe is perfect for a busy night when you don’t have time to spend cooking all night long, and it’s a dish the whole family will love.
- What is BBQ-Spiced Chicken and Rice Casserole?
- How to make BBQ-spiced chicken and rice casserole:
- Tips for success:
- How can I make BBQ-spiced chicken and rice casserole in a crockpot?
- What can I serve with this dish?
- What other vegetables can I add?
- How to store:
- BBQ-Spiced Chicken and Rice Casserole
What is BBQ-Spiced Chicken and Rice Casserole?
This casserole recipe is a great make-ahead dish that you can store in the refrigerator or freezer until you’re ready to bake it. It’s a great meal to use when you’re going out for the night and need the babysitter to make dinner. You know your kids will eat well and won’t need to worry about them getting cereal.
BBQ-spiced chicken casserole comes together in less than 20 minutes and is baked for another 20 minutes. You can even make it in an instant pot or crockpot if you need to use the oven for something else at the same time. This dish is hearty and easy to make, and that’s the best kind of casserole.
- 3 tbsps vegetable oil: Any neutral oil will work here.
- 1 onion, chopped: White onions work best in this recipe.
- 2 tbsps flour: All-purpose flour thickens up the casserole.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into cubes, and cooked: Cut the chicken into one-inch pieces and then saute them until browned on all sides.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice: You can use packaged, cooked rice, or you can cook it ahead of time.
- 2 small broccoli heads, cut into florets: Cut the broccoli into one-inch pieces, so they cook evenly.
- 1 1⁄2 tsps BBQ seasoning: Use a dry rub found at the grocery store or you can make your own at home.
- 1⁄2 cup cream: A little cream makes this dish richer and creamier.
- 2⁄3 cup shredded cheese: Cheddar cheese is sprinkled on top for a cheesy and golden brown finish.
- 2 cups chicken stock: Use the best chicken stock you can find or make your own at home.
How to make BBQ-spiced chicken and rice casserole:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Saute onion in vegetable oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add in flour, mix, and cook for 1 minute more.
3. Season with salt, pepper, BBQ seasoning, and pour in chicken stock. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add broccoli florets and cook for 5 minutes more.
5. Combine everything with cooked rice and add the cream.
6. Pour casserole mixture into a baking pan and top with cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 180C/350F.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best BBQ-spiced chicken and rice casserole you've ever had.
- This casserole has no soup added. Instead, it uses heavy cream and chicken stock.
- Instead of using cheddar cheese, you can use mozzarella, Monterey jack, Colby jack, or pepper jack.
- You can also use other types of meat like shredded rotisserie chicken, ground pork, ground beef, ground turkey, or ground chicken.
How can I make BBQ-spiced chicken and rice casserole in a crockpot?
To make this dish in a slow cooker, follow the instructions through step five, then pour it into the bowl of the crockpot. Place the lid on top, and cook on high for four hours. Serve it hot.
What can I serve with this dish?
While this casserole is tasty on its own, you can serve a side dish with it. Try crusty French bread, chewy dinner rolls, roasted vegetables, or a fruit salad. Think of dishes that have the same flavor profiles but are opposing in texture. This is the best way to pair dishes together.
What other vegetables can I add?
You can replace the chicken with vegetables or add them in with the rest of the dish. Some ideas are cauliflower, mushrooms, asparagus, green beans, spinach, or kale. Think of what’s in season and what would taste good with the textures and flavors already present in the dish when deciding how to pair them.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
Can I make this casserole dairy-free?
Yes, all you would need to do is remove the heavy cream to make this dish dairy-free.
Can I make this chicken casserole without rice?
To have no rice, you can substitute cauliflower rice if you’d like or omit it altogether.
Can I make this dish in an instant pot?
Yes, you can use a pressure cooker for this meal. Follow the instructions through step five, and then pour the ingredients into the instant pot bowl. Seal the lid on, set the time to 20 minutes, and when it’s done, carefully release the pressure. Remove the lid and serve immediately.
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into cubed and cooked
- 1 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- 2 small broccolis, cut into florets
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoon BBQ seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 2⁄3 cup shredded cheese
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Saute onion in vegetable oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add in flour, mix, and cook for 1 minute more.
- Season with salt, pepper, BBQ seasoning and pour in chicken stock. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Combine everything with cooked rice and add the cream in.
- Pour casserole mixture into a baking pan and top with cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 180C/350F.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 324mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 21g