Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is a delicious dish made with chicken, bechamel sauce, chicken stock, shallots, mushrooms, yogurt, and puff pastry. It’s a tasty version of the classic chicken pot pie that your family will love eating and you’ll love making.
- What is Chicken Pot Pie Casserole?
- How to make chicken pot pie casserole:
- Tips for success:
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Can I use a crockpot to make chicken pot pie?
- What’s the difference between a chicken pot pie and chicken and dumplings?
- What else can I top the chicken pot pie casserole with?
- How to store:
- More Easy Casseroles With Chicken
What is Chicken Pot Pie Casserole?
This chicken casserole can be made using just two pans and only has seven ingredients. It’s slightly different from the classic version but just as tasty. The puff pastry is used in place of pie dough and gives the dish a light and airy feel and texture.
Homemade chicken pot pie is an easy recipe to make on a weeknight and can be cooked and ready to serve in just over an hour. It feeds up to six people and no one will be able to resist the puff pastry on top. If you want to learn how to make an irresistible casserole from scratch, there’s no mistaking that this is the best.
If you like this classic dish, then I recommend you also try our classic shepherd's pie casserole!
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded: Gently poach the chicken in water just until it’s cooked all the way through. Allow it to cool, then shred it with two forks or tongs.
- 1 ¼ cup bechamel sauce: This is found in jars next to the pesto and marinara sauce at the grocery store.
- 1 cup chicken stock: Fresh chicken stock is best for this dish. For better flavor, you can also use organic broth in cartons from the grocery store.
- 2-3 shallots: Finely dice the shallots so there aren’t any big chunks in the dish.
- 8 cremini mushrooms: Wash and slice the mushrooms before using them.
- 1 cup yogurt: This alternative to heavy whipping cream is creamy and just as tasty.
- 1 sheet puff pastry: You can usually find puff pastry in the freezer section of the grocery store next to the cool whip and other frozen desserts.
How to make chicken pot pie casserole:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven to 400F/210C.
2. Saute shallots with some olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add the shredded chicken, and pour in chicken stock and bechamel, wait until the sauce starts to bubble up, then cook for 10 minutes.
4. Mix in yogurt and transfer into a baking dish. Cover with a sheet of puff pastry, make slits in it, then brush with egg wash and bake for 40 minutes.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best chicken pot pie casserole you've ever had.
- To make this casserole gluten-free, leave off the crust and sprinkle sliced almonds or chopped pecans instead. This also makes the dish keto-friendly.
- Use Pillsbury or Bisquick brands for the puff pastry. They have proven to be the best flavor unless you make them at home.
- You can use Campell’s cream of chicken soup in place of bechamel sauce if you can’t find it at the grocery store.
- Rotisserie chicken is a great alternative to poaching chicken breasts if you don’t have the time or inclination.
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 ¼ cup bechamel sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2-3 shallots
- 8 cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 400F/210C.
- Saute shallots with some olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken, and pour in chicken stock and bechamel, wait until the sauce starts to bubble up, then cook for 10 minutes.
- Mix in yogurt and transfer into a baking dish. Cover with a sheet of puff pastry makes it's in it, then brush with egg wash and bake for 40 minutes.
This can be made with chicken breasts, legs, thighs, or even a leftover rotisserie chicken.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Complete Cookbook for Beginners: Essential Skills and Step-by-Step Techniques
STAUB Ceramics Oval Baking Dish, 9-inch, Dark Blue
Plastic Measuring Cups and Spoons Set 14 Piece. Includes 11 Colorful Measuring Cups and Spoons Set and 3 Plastic Liquid Measuring Cups. Nesting Measuring Set for Space Saving Storage. Dishwasher-Safe
OXO Good Grips 3- Piece Wooden Utensil Set
Amazon Basics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven, 7.3-Quart, Red
Blue Diamond Cookware Diamond Infused Ceramic Nonstick, 14" Large Frying Pan with Helper Handle, PFAS-Free, Dishwasher Safe, Oven Safe, Blue
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 205mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 25g
Can I make this casserole into a soup instead?
Yes! Instead of baking this casserole in a baking dish, you can make it in a big pot and serve it as soup. Offer biscuits, crescent rolls, or dinner rolls on the side.
How can I make chicken pot pie in an instant pot?
To make this casserole in a pressure cooker, combine all the ingredients, except the puff pastry, in the bowl of the instant pot. Seal on the lid, cook for 20 minutes, and then carefully let the steam escape through the valve. Remove the lid and serve hot.
Can I make this dish dairy-free?
Yes, you can make this casserole without dairy. Instead of adding bechamel sauce and yogurt, you can replace it with chicken stock. To thicken it up add a little flour or cornstarch slurry toward the end.
Can I use a crockpot to make chicken pot pie?
It’s easy to make this dish in a slow cooker. Simply combine all the ingredients in the bowl of the crockpot, except the pie dough, place the lid on, and cook on high for four hours. Before it’s done, bake the rolled-out pie dough for 10 minutes in the oven or until it’s golden brown. You can then break up the pieces and serve them with the chicken pot pie casserole.
What’s the difference between a chicken pot pie and chicken and dumplings?
These two dishes may seem interchangeable but they’re actually different. Chicken and dumplings are made by dropping small balls of fresh dough on top of the chicken filling and then baking. The dough puffs up into something like biscuits. Whereas, chicken pot pie is covered with a layer of pie dough and then baked.
What else can I top the chicken pot pie casserole with?
Instead of using puff pastry, you can use pie dough, crescent rolls, or biscuit dough on top of the chicken dish. Each of these will taste a little different, but they’ll all be delicious.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook it, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
More Easy Casseroles With Chicken
If you are looking for an easy weeknight meal using your favorite poultry, there are a ton to choose from. Casseroles make it easier every time and below are a few of my personal favorites that are filled with flavor and simple to prepare. Make sure that you bookmark these ideas, pin them to Pinterest, or print out the recipes to make soon.