Chicken Fajita Casserole is a delicious meal made with chicken thighs, bell peppers, onions, taco seasoning, sour cream, cream cheese, and shredded cheese. This creamy dish is perfect for dinner any night of the week. It’s savory and easy to prep and put in the oven in under 20 minutes.
What is Chicken Fajita Casserole?
This chicken fajita recipe is a cheesy baked meal that is a fun version of a classic dish. Instead of wrapping chicken, onions, and bell peppers in tortillas, this dish combines them with sour cream and cream cheese. It’s baked until the sauce is hot all the way through and the shredded cheese on top is golden brown and bubbly.
If you have more chicken thighs to use, check out this Dorito's chicken casserole. It's a great Tex-Mex-style dish that is flavorful and easy to make!
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil: You can use any neutral oil to saute the chicken.
- 8 chicken thighs, cut into pieces: Use boneless skinless chicken thighs so you can cut them up.
- 4 bell peppers, sliced: Any color bell peppers will work, like orange, yellow, red, or green.
- 1 medium onion, chopped: White onions work best in this casserole.
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning: Try using McCormicks or your own blend of taco seasonings.
- 1 cup sour cream: You can use full or reduced-fat sour cream in this dish.
- ½ cup cream cheese: Be sure to soften the cream cheese before adding it to the casserole.
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese: Cheddar cheese works well with chicken fajita casserole.
How to make chicken fajita casserole:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a cast-iron skillet. Saute onions for 5 minutes. Add bell peppers and cook for 5 minutes more.
3. Remove vegetables from the skillet and cook chicken thighs in the same pan for 10 minutes.
4. Return vegetables back into the skillet and season with salt, pepper, and taco
5. Mix everything with sour cream and cream cheese.
6. Mix together with a spoon.
7. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best chicken fajita casserole you've ever had.
- Try using mozzarella, sharp white cheddar, or Colby jack cheese in place of yellow cheddar cheese.
- Some other types of meat you can use are shredded chicken breasts, shrimp, ground beef, ground chicken, ground turkey, or ground sausage.
- Add tomatoes or salsa to the mixture for an added bit of flavor.
- Serve with tortilla chips or even flour tortillas to serve as a taco salad or fajita.
Do you want more easy-to-prepare and flavorful recipes? Check out my cookbooks. The Mediterranean Air Fryer Cookbook, Clean Eating Air Fryer Cookbook, The Complete Dutch Oven Cookbook, and the recent The Complete Cookbook for Beginners all share my favorite recipes along with handy tips for succeeding in the kitchen.
How can you make this casserole in a crockpot?
It’s easy to make chicken fajita casserole in a slow cooker. Saute the onions, bell peppers, and chicken. Transfer to the bowl of the crockpot, and add the seasonings, sour cream, cream cheese, and shredded cheese. Place the lid on and cook on high for two hours.
What can I add to chicken fajita casserole?
If you’re looking to add some additional ingredients to make this dish even heartier, try adding white rice, noodles, wild rice, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, or potatoes.
You can also mix and match the cheeses as mentioned above. And, as always, I love adding some fresh chopped cilantro and green onions for a pop of flavor when serving.
Of course, it is ideal to serve just like you would any taco or fajita with sour cream, salsa, hot sauce, avocado, or even guacamole on the side.
What can I serve with this dish?
While this dish is delicious on its own, you can serve it with some sides. Try flour or corn tortillas, tater tots, fruit salad, green salad, or white crusty bread.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook it, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later.
Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
Is this casserole keto-friendly?
Yes, this dish is low-carb and fits with a keto diet. There are no ingredients that are high in carbs and plenty of protein and fat.
How can I make this dish in an instant pot?
You can make chicken fajita casserole in a pressure cooker by using the saute feature to cook the chicken, onions, and bell peppers. Add in the seasonings and cheeses, seal on the lid, and set the time to cook for 20 minutes. Carefully release the pressure, remove the lid, and serve immediately.
Can I make this recipe dairy-free?
If you’d like to make this dish without dairy, you can simply leave out the sour cream, cream cheese, and shredded cheese. Substitute one cup of chicken stock for the liquid and top with chopped pecans or walnuts in place of the cheese.
More Mexican-Inspired Casseroles
If your family loves the cheesy and spicy goodness that comes from Mexican and Tex-Mex recipes, then look no further than this list of tasty meal ideas. Whether you want chicken or beef, this list has something for everyone. Make sure that you bookmark these, print out the recipes, or pin to Pinterest so they are handy when you are ready to cook!
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Walking Taco Casserole
- Mexican Casserole
- Chicken Enchiladas Casserole
- Beef Enchilada Casserole
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 chicken thighs, cut into pieces
- 4 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven 350F/180C.
- Heat vegetable oil in a cast-iron skillet. Saute onions for 5 minutes. Add bell peppers and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Remove vegetables from the skillet and cook chicken thighs in the same pan for 10 minutes.
- Return vegetables back into the skillet and season with salt, pepper, and taco seasoning.
- Mix everything with sour cream and cream cheese, top with shredded cheese, and bake for 20 minutes.
This can be made with chicken breasts, shrimp, pork, or steak if you prefer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Complete Dutch Oven Cookbook: 105 Recipes for Your Most Versatile Pot
STAUB Ceramics Oval Baking Dish, 9-inch, Dark Blue
Utopia Kitchen 12.5 Inch Pre-Seasoned Cast iron Skillet - Frying Pan - Safe Grill Cookware for indoor & Outdoor Use - Cast Iron Pan
Amazon Basics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven, 7.3-Quart, Red
Slitzer Germany 7-Piece Chef's Knife Set, Ergonomically Designed, Professional Grade Chef Knives, Great addition to any kitchen
Wood Cutting Board Set - Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove - Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Butcher Block) Cheese and Vegetables | Heavy Duty Serving Tray w/Handles (3)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1059Total Fat: 78gSaturated Fat: 31gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 42gCholesterol: 438mgSodium: 1149mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 75g