This easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole is made in just 30 minutes by rolling the shredded chicken, jalapenos, seasonings, cilantro, and cheese in corn tortillas and topping with sauce and more cheese. It’s then baked to golden and bubbly perfection. It’s the perfect weeknight meal.
- What is Chicken Enchilada Casserole?
- Video Recipe
- How to make Chicken Enchilada Casserole :
- Tips for success:
- What to serve with chicken enchilada casserole?
- Can you make this dish in an Instant Pot?
- How can you make chicken enchiladas in a Crock Pot?
- How to store:
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
What is Chicken Enchilada Casserole?
This chicken enchilada recipe is an easier version of a traditional enchilada dish. It’s layered with cheesy goodness and can be altered to fit your preferences. This version is filled with shredded chicken, jalapenos, taco seasoning, cheese, and cilantro. These ingredients are rolled up into tortillas, covered with a red enchilada sauce, and topped with cheddar cheese. It’s then baked until hot, golden, and delicious.
It’s easy to make this dish gluten-free! You can use corn tortillas instead of flour or even cut out the tortillas altogether and add in cooked white or brown rice. This is a fun variation you can try when you want something a little different.
- 1 ½ cups Enchilada Sauce: Red or green enchilada sauce is perfect for this dish. You can decide which one looks best to you at the grocery store.
- 2 cups Cheese: Shredded cheddar cheese goes well with enchiladas and becomes golden and bubbly.
- 2 cups Dark or white chicken: Cooked and shredded chicken either poached or rotisserie.
- 2 tablespoons Jalapenos: You can use fresh or pickled minced jalapenos for an added spice. Be sure to taste them before adding to make sure they’re not too spicy.
- 2 teaspoons Taco seasoning: A packet of taco seasoning give this dish the perfect Mexican flavors.
- 8 Corn or flour tortillas: Corn tortillas are more traditional but you can use flour tortillas if you like them better.
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro: Chopped cilantro gives a bright and fresh look and flavor to this casserole.
- Toppings: sour cream, avocados, chopped lettuce, green chile.
How to make Chicken Enchilada Casserole :
Here are brief steps to make this dish. For all the details, see the recipe card below.
- Combine the shredded chicken with jalapenos, taco seasoning, cilantro, and half of the cheese.
2. Roll the mixture into the tortillas.
3. Spread half the sauce on the bottom of the baking dish, lay the tortilla rolls on top, then cover with the rest of the sauce and cheese.
4. Bake until the top is golden and bubbly.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best chicken enchilada casserole you've ever had.
- To make this dish keto all you need to do is remove the tortillas. This also makes it gluten-free.
- Use a skillet to saute some onions, add in the shredded chicken, taco seasonings, jalapenos, and sauce to bring out their natural flavors and make it hot before adding it to the casserole.
- To make the dish even more filling, add cooked white or brown rice to the mixture before rolling it up in the tortillas. You can even leave out the tortillas altogether.
- If you don’t have poached or rotisserie chicken, you can use ground chicken instead. Cook it in a saute pan with some oil until browned before adding it with the rest of the ingredients.
What to serve with chicken enchilada casserole?
When you’re thinking of what to make to go with this casserole try dishes that balance the richness of the cheese and sauce and that fit with the theme of the meal. This yummy dish goes well with a side of cornbread, a fresh green salad, white rice, or red beans.
Can you make this dish in an Instant Pot?
Yes, you can make enchiladas in a pressure cooker. Simply follow the instructions and place the rolled tortillas in the pot of the cooker. Place the lid on, close the valve, and cook on high for five minutes.
How can you make chicken enchiladas in a Crock Pot?
If you have some extra time you can make chicken enchiladas in a slow cooker and then finish it in the oven. Place raw chicken breasts, sauce, jalapenos, seasoning, and a bit of water in the bowl of the cooker. Place the lid on top and cook on high for three to four hours.
Roll the mixture in tortillas, place them in a baking dish, top with sauce and cheese, and bake until golden brown and bubbly.
How to store:
You can freeze the entire casserole before baking by wrapping it in aluminum foil and then plastic wrap. Be sure to label and date it so you remember what you’ve made and when to eat it.
After you’ve baked it, you can keep any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to five days.
How can you make this dish creamy?
If you want to make this casserole creamy, add eight ounces of softened cream cheese to the mixture.
How can you make chicken enchiladas healthy?
This dish is already pretty healthy. If you remove the tortillas and substitute them with rice you can make it low-carb.
Why do my enchiladas fall apart?
Tortillas break apart when they aren’t warm enough before wrapping the mixture up in them. To prevent this, warm them up slightly in the microwave between two pieces of damp paper towels first.
- 1 1⁄2 cup enchilada sauce
- 2 cups cheese, shredded
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 tablespoon pickled jalapenos, chopped
- 2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Avocado and sour cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- Combine shredded chicken with jalapeños, taco seasoning, cilantro, and half of the cheese.
- Roll the mixture into 8 flour tortillas.
- Spread half of the sauce on the bottom of the baking dish, lay out tortilla rolls on top, then cover with leftover sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 823Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 121mgSodium: 1836mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 40g