If you want something upscale but easy to make, this creamy shrimp pasta casserole is a perfect fit. A simple homemade creamy cheese sauce is paired with fresh shrimp and pasta for a weeknight dinner you will adore. Ready in just 40 minutes, it serves 6 and is loaded with savory flavor!
Shrimp Pasta Casserole
This delicious shrimp pasta casserole is the perfect seafood meal for busy families. Since it has such simple steps you'll love making it on a regular basis, plus you can't beat knowing everything in the sauce. A guilt-free meal that is delicious and perfect for the fresh shrimp on sale at your market!
The garlic, oregano, and smoked paprika add immense flavor to this palette-perfect dish. The heavy cream, mozzarella, and feta cheese make this dish cheesy, rich, and savory. You won’t find a better version of shrimp and pasta casserole anywhere. Pair with our spinach casserole for a delicious meal that everyone will beg you to make time and again!
- 1 pound (500g) prawns or shrimp, peeled and deveined: Buy fresh or frozen shrimp for the best flavor.
- 2 tablespoon butter.
- 3 tablespoon flour: All-purpose flour helps thicken the sauce.
- 2 cups heavy cream: Buy heavy whipping cream in the dairy section of the supermarket.
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded: You can get pre-shredded cheese or buy a block and shred it yourself for the best flavor.
- 1⁄3 cup feta cheese: Crumbled feta cheese adds a tangy finish to the dish.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced: Be sure the garlic is fresh and smell strong after the skin is removed.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano: This herb adds an Italian flavor to this recipe.
- 7 oz (200g) bow tie pasta: Small pasta works well with the size of the shrimp in this dish.
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika: Be sure to buy the smoked paprika rather than the regular paprika for that smoky finish.
Kitchen Tools Used
How to Make Creamy Shrimp Pasta Casserole
This recipe is simple to prepare and ideal for a novice cook. The simple steps make it easy to make, even if you aren't familiar with a lot of cooking techniques. I recommend starting by measuring all ingredients and setting up your workspace so each step goes smoothly. Plus, you will want to spray your baking dish (9"x13" is ideal) with non-stick spray and preheat the oven in advance.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
2. Over medium heat whisk flour into the melted butter and cook for 1 minute.
3. Start pouring in cream, while whisking constantly.
4. Cook the sauce for 10 minutes or until thick. Season with salt, paprika, oregano, and garlic. Mix in feta cheese and 1⁄2 cup mozzarella.
5. Add the shrimp and remove from the heat.
5. Cook bow pasta half the time that is mentioned in the directions.
6. Mix bow pasta with the sauce right in the baking dish. Top with 1⁄2 cup of cheese.
7. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 15 minutes.
Is this casserole keto-friendly?
This recipe isn’t low-carb because of the pasta, however, you can easily remove it and replace the pasta with spiralized zucchini or squash. You would also want to use keto-friendly flour for the roux with the sauce to make this the perfect keto dish.
Can I make this dish dairy-free?
Since the largest part of the sauce is cheese, this recipe is difficult to make dairy free with good results. While you could use vegan and dairy-free alternatives to the milk and cheese, I have not tried with that method so cannot say if it would result in a good sauce or not.
What can I top this creamy shrimp pasta casserole with?
When serving, fresh oregano, parsley, or basil are ideal for sprinkling over the top. This, along with freshly cracked black pepper are traditional.
You can also add texture by sprinkling the top with fried onions, breadcrumbs, or cracker crumbs when baking.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best creamy shrimp pasta casserole you've ever had.
- Try using other types of cheese like cheddar, gruyere, Havarti, Velveeta, mascarpone, or bleu.
- Substitute half and half, milk, alfredo sauce, or bechamel sauce for the heavy cream.
- Make this dish into more of a creamy scampi by using long pasta like fettuccine, spaghetti, angel hair, or bucatini.
Which vegetables can I add to this shrimp casserole?
This recipe doesn’t include any vegetables but you can easily add your own. Use what you have in your refrigerator or buy some extras at the grocery store.
Some delicious options include fresh spinach or kale, asparagus spears, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, or artichokes.
Can I use a different type of meat in this dish?
Yes, if you’re allergic, don’t have access to quality shrimp, or just don’t like them, you can use another protein.
Some other options would be tuna, salmon, scallops, lobster, or crab if you are okay with seafood. If you prefer non-seafood, this pairs well with chicken, steak, or even a good sausage.
What can I serve with creamy shrimp pasta casserole?
To complete this meal, pair it with a tasty side dish. Try to think of balancing the flavors in the shrimp casserole with opposing flavors and textures.
I like to pair this with a side of roasted vegetables, a side salad, or steamed vegetables. You can also serve it with asparagus casserole or a healthy broccoli casserole.
Of course, all pasta dishes should be served with a side of crusty bread for dipping into that sauce!
How Do I Store Leftover Shrimp Pasta Casserole?
Fresh shrimp is best served within 3 days of cooking. For this recipe, you can save leftovers in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days with good results. Simply put it into an airtight container and then reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave. Remember that shrimp can get rubbery easily, so reheat in 30-second increments until just hot all the way through.
This can also be frozen for another weeknight. Simple wrap the baking dish (I recommend using a disposable for this). Plastic wrap and then a layer of aluminum foil are ideal. Label and date the recipe and store it for 3 to 4 months for best results. However, cooked shrimp by itself can be good in the freezer for up to 1 year.
More Main Dish Casserole Recipes
While we love this creamy shrimp pasta casserole, you may need more ideas to fill out your weeknight menu. With these tasty options, you will be set! If you need more inspiration for adding to your dinner menu, below are a few of our favorites. Make sure you bookmark these, print out the recipes, or pin them to Pinterest to make soon!
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- BBQ Spiced Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Ham and Potato Casserole
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Sloppy Joes Casserole
Creamy Shrimp Pasta Casserole
A creamy shrimp pasta casserole has perfectly cooked pasta and shrimp in a perfect rich homemade cream sauce!
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (500g)
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour (25g)
- 2 tablespoon of butter
- 2 cups heavy cream (500ml)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (225g)
- 1⁄3 cup feta cheese (50g)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano (.5g)
- 7 ounces bow-tie pasta (200g dry)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (2.3g)
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Over medium heat whisk flour into the melted butter and cook for 1 minute.
- Start pouring in cream, while whisking constantly.
- Cook the sauce for 10 minutes or until thick. Season with salt, paprika, oregano, and garlic. Mix in feta cheese and 1⁄2 cup mozzarella. Add raw shrimp and remove from heat.
- Cook bow pasta half the time that is mentioned in the directions.
- Mix bow pasta with the sauce right in the baking dish. Top with 1⁄2 cup of cheese and bake for 15 minutes.
Use a preferred cream sauce in this recipe to save time.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Anchor Hocking Oven Basics Glass Baking Dishes, Rectangular Value Pack, Set of 2
GreenLife Bakeware Healthy Ceramic Nonstick, 13" x 9" Rectangular Cake Baking Pan, PFAS-Free, Turquoise
Plastic Measuring Cups and Spoons Set 14 Piece. Includes 11 Colorful Measuring Cups and Spoons Set and 3 Plastic Liquid Measuring Cups. Nesting Measuring Set for Space Saving Storage. Dishwasher-Safe
Slitzer Germany 7-Piece Chef's Knife Set, Ergonomically Designed, Professional Grade Chef Knives, Great addition to any kitchen
Amazon Basics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
AVACRAFT Stainless Steel Saucepan with Glass Lid, Strainer Lid, Two Side Spouts for Easy Pour with Ergonomic Handle, Multipurpose Sauce Pan with Lid, Sauce Pot (Tri-Ply Capsule Bottom, 2.5 Quart)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 494Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 266mgSodium: 912mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 26g
How much butter?
How much butter am I supposed to use in this recipe?
2 tablespoon, fixed the recipe it was missed somehow but shown in the video.