Stuffed Pepper Casserole is a tasty dish made by filling bell peppers with a mixture of quinoa, ground chicken, tomato sauce, herbs, and spices. This oven-baked casserole is easy to make and perfect for dinner any night of the week. It’s also great to make ahead so you can pop it in the oven when you’re ready for dinner.
What is Stuffed Pepper Casserole?
This stuffed pepper casserole recipe is a filling dish made with herbs and spices like onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, and chili flakes. It’s an explosion of flavor that your whole family will love. Also, while it’s comforting, it’s also healthy. So feel free to have a second helping! This is definitely a dish you’ll make over and over again.
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock: You can use boxed or canned chicken stock for this recipe since you aren’t using very much of it. It’s always a good idea to find and buy the best possible stock or make it yourself.
- 1 ½ cups tomato sauce: Use canned tomato sauce since it’s already prepared and smooth.
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar: A little sugar sweetens up this baked dish.
- 1 cup quinoa: Dried quinoa will cook in the liquid while the casserole bakes.
- 3 bell peppers: Cut open the bell peppers and remove the seeds so there is room for the filling.
- ½ pound ground chicken: Ground chicken cooks faster and more evenly than diced chicken breast.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 3 tablespoons parsley, 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs, 1 teaspoon chili flakes: These seasonings spice up the dish and make it taste delicious.
- ½ cup cheddar cheese: Top the casserole with cheddar cheese so it will be golden brown and bubbly when it’s finished.
How to make stuffed pepper casserole :
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Whisk tomato sauce, stock, brown sugar, Italian herbs, and salt to taste.
3. Add in quinoa.
4. Mix ground chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, chili flakes, salt, and pepper.
5. Cut each bell pepper and remove the stem with seeds.
6. Fill each empty pepper with the chicken mixture.
7. Place peppers into the baking dish with quinoa and sauce.
8. Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the cheddar cheese.
9. Bake for 40-45 minutes at 200C/400F.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best stuffed pepper casserole you've ever had.
- You can also make this casserole in an Instant pot. This would make it a one-pot meal that is done in half the time.
- Add some Mexican spices like chili powder and cumin to give this a southwest flare.
- Serve this dish with a side of tomato soup, a crunchy salad, or blanched vegetables.
- You can make this dish vegetarian just by leaving out the ground chicken. It’s filling enough that you don’t need to add anything extra.
- If you’d like, you can use instant rice instead of quinoa for the grain.
Can I make this stuffed pepper casserole in the crockpot?
Yes, you can make this in a slow cooker. Just follow the directions up through number six and then place the peppers in the bowl of the crockpot. Place the lid on, set to high, and cook for three to four hours.
You may want to check on it a couple of times to make sure there is enough liquid on the bottom of the dish. If it evaporates, the peppers will burn before it’s done cooking. Just add a little more chicken stock or tomato sauce if needed.
What other kinds of peppers can I use?
Green bell peppers are used in this recipe, but you can substitute them for banana peppers, poblanos, or different colored bell peppers. Be aware that other peppers may be spicy. It’s a good idea to taste a little piece of the pepper you want to use before filling it with the mixture to make sure it’s not too hot.
Is this casserole keto-friendly?
It’s easy to make this dish fit a keto diet. All you need to do is remove the quinoa which is not allowed. All the other ingredients are keto-friendly. Even without the grain, it’s a delicious dish that you can eat while following this diet.
How to store:
If you have any leftover spaghetti casserole, you can save it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. To reheat it, just place it in the microwave and heat in 30-second increments until it’s heated all the way through.
You can also make this dish ahead of time and freeze it until you’re ready to use it. Wrap it in aluminum foil and then plastic wrap. Label it with the date, name, and baking instructions so you won’t forget in the future. Remember, if you make it from frozen, it will take longer to bake in the oven.
Is this stuffed pepper casserole healthy?
Yes, this dish is healthy! It’s made with vegetables, grains, seasonings, and sprinkled with a little cheese on top. No need to feel guilty about eating this casserole.
What kind of sauce can I use with this dish?
If you’d like to substitute the tomato sauce, try using spaghetti sauce or marinara sauce instead. They will add even more flavor to the casserole.
Stuffed Pepper Casserole
Stuffed Pepper Casserole is a tasty dish made by filling bell peppers with a mixture of quinoa, chicken, tomato sauce, herbs, and spices.
- 1 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 bell peppers
- ½ pound ground chicken
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons parsley
- 1 tablespoon dry Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- Whisk tomato sauce, stock, brown sugar, Italian herbs, and salt to taste. Add quinoa in.
- Mix ground chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, chili flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Cut each bell pepper and remove the stem with seeds. Fill each emptied pepper with chicken mixture and place peppers into the baking dish with quinoa and sauce.
- Top with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes at 200C/400F.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 473mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 15g
Leave a Reply