Sloppy Joe Casserole is a comforting, delicious dish made with ground beef, onions, tomato sauce, cheese, and pasta. This recipe is quick and easy to make on a weeknight or to make ahead and bake when you’re ready for dinner. Serve this dish with crusty white bread and steamed vegetables for a complete meal.
What is Sloppy Joe Casserole?
This sloppy joe casserole is a keto-friendly recipe that’s cheesy and creamy. Crunchy corn kernels balance out the texture while the rich cheese is balanced by the acidity of the tomato sauce. All these ingredients combine to make a delicious casserole that your whole family will love. It’s also easy to alter the ingredients to match your tastes and preferences so everyone will be happy.
- 1 pound ground beef: Use 90/10 lean ground beef in this dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil: Any neutral oil will work here. You can try avocado, sunflower, or canola oil.
- 1 onion, chopped: White onions work best in this casserole.
- 2 cups chicken stock: Use the best stock you can find at the grocery store or make your own.
- 1 1⁄4 cups ketchup: Use your favorite brand of ketchup. This adds sweetness as well.
- 1 1⁄4 cups tomato sauce: It’s easiest to buy canned tomato sauce. Otherwise, you can make your own if you have extra tomatoes.
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese: This cheese is very melty and makes the dish creamy.
- 14 ounces half-cooked bow pasta: Any small pasta will work for this casserole.
- 2⁄3 cup canned corn: Frozen corn will work if you don’t have canned corn as well.
- 1 cup cheddar cheese: You can buy pre-shredded cheddar cheese or buy a block and grate it yourself.
How to make sloppy joe casserole:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Heat up some olive oil and cook the onion for 5 minutes. Add ground beef and break it up with a fork. Cook beef for 10 minutes.
3. Add ketchup, corn, tomato sauce, and cheese, stir to combine.
4. Mix in pasta and pour chicken stock on top. Cook for 5 minutes, until it reaches the boiling point.
5. Transfer pasta and meat into a baking pan and top with cheese. Bake for 10 minutes
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best sloppy joe casserole you've ever had.
- Top with pecans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, corn flakes, ritz crackers, sliced almonds, fried onion strings, or Fritos for a crunchy layer.
- To make this dish in an instant pot, saute the ingredients in the bowl, seal the lid, set to 20 minutes, release the pressure, and serve hot.
What other meat can I use in this casserole?
This dish tastes great with other types of ground meat too. You can use pork, turkey, or sausage if you’d rather. They all have a slightly different flavor but are all savory.
Which vegetables go well in this dish?
Add some extra veggies to make this casserole healthier and even more flavorful. Some options are diced potatoes, green beans, asparagus, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, red peppers, or poblano peppers.
Can I make sloppy joe casserole in a crockpot?
Yes, you can make this casserole in a slow cooker. All you need to do is follow the directions by cooking the ingredients in a pan and mixing the others in. Then, pour the mixture into the bowl of the crockpot, place the lid on, and set it to low for eight hours. You can sprinkle the top with chopped parsley and serve it hot.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
What can I serve with sloppy joe casserole?
This hearty noodle casserole can be served with French bread, a side of sauteed veggies, cornbread, biscuits, crescent rolls, tater tots, mac and cheese, or a fruit salad.
How can I make this dish spicy?
If you want to make this dish a little extra spicy, add some diced jalapenos, poblanos, serranos, or Fresno peppers.
Can I make this casserole dairy-free?
Yes, you can make this dish with no cheese to make it dairy-free. It will be less creamy, but still delicious.
- 1 pound ground beef
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄4 cups ketchup
- 1 1⁄4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese
- 14 ounces half-cooked bow pasta
- 2⁄3 cup canned corn
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Heat up some olive oil and cook the onion for 5 minutes. Add ground beef and break it up with a fork. Cook beef for 10 minutes.
- Add ketchup, corn, tomato sauce, and cheese, stir to combine.
- Mix in pasta and pour chicken stock on top. Cook for 5 minutes, until it reaches the boiling point.
- Transfer pasta and meat into a baking pan and top with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 373Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 1016mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 25g