Bell Pepper and Bacon Breakfast Casserole is a delicious meal made with bacon, onions, bell peppers, eggs, cheese, garlic, and sundried tomatoes. It’s the perfect make-ahead breakfast for Christmas morning, special occasions, or a weekday meal. You can feed it to a crowd or save it for breakfast for the week.
- What is Bell Pepper and Bacon Breakfast Casserole?
- How to make this recipe:
- Tips for success:
- What other vegetables can I add to this casserole?
- Can I make bell pepper and bacon breakfast casserole in an instant pot?
- Can I add meat to this dish?
- How to store:
- More Breakfast Casseroles
- Bell Pepper and Bacon Breakfast Casserole
What is Bell Pepper and Bacon Breakfast Casserole?
This egg breakfast casserole recipe is best when it’s made the day before you’re ready to eat so it can sit overnight in the refrigerator. The flavors have a chance to mix together which makes every bite delicious. You can also freeze the dish and bake it later when you need a quick breakfast or want to serve brunch to a crowd.
If you want something just a bit different, then consider making this Italian bacon casserole. It's so delicious and ideal for breakfast as a make-ahead meal!
- 4-6 slices of bacon: Thick, smoked bacon has the best texture and flavor in this dish.
- 1 medium white onion, sliced: White onions are perfect for baking since they hold up well.
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped: Bell peppers are an excellent source of vitamin C.
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped: You can find these vegetables in the produce section of the grocery store.
- 10 eggs: Use large, fresh eggs in this casserole.
- salt and pepper: A little seasoning is needed to bring out the flavors of the other ingredients.
- 1 cup shredded cheese: Shredded cheddar cheese is perfect for this dish.
- 8-10 sun-dried tomatoes for topping: Sun-dried tomatoes are a fun surprise and are placed on top of the cheese before baking.
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced: Make sure the garlic is fresh by checking that they aren’t dry after peeling.
How to make this recipe:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
2. Cook bacon until crispy, add garlic, and cook for 1 minute more. Transfer onto paper towels.
3. Cook bell peppers and onion with some olive oil over medium heat for 10 minutes.
4. Transfer into a baking dish, mix in bacon.
5. Whisk eggs with salt and pepper. Pour on top of the vegetables and add cheese and dried tomatoes.
6. Bake for 40 minutes.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best bell pepper and bacon breakfast casserole you've ever had.
- You can add potatoes to this casserole to make it more filling. Try hash browns, tater tots, or diced potatoes.
- Add a packet of ranch seasoning for extra flavor.
- Use other colors of bell peppers, like yellow or orange, for an even bolder dish.
Is this breakfast casserole keto-friendly?
Yes, this dish is low-carb and fits nicely in a keto diet. It’s the best dish to make for your whole family.
Can I make this dish creamy?
Yes, you can make this casserole creamy by adding cream cheese, sour cream, or shredded cheese directly to the dish before baking.
Can I make bell pepper casserole vegetarian?
Yes, you can easily make this dish vegetarian. All you need to do is leave out the bacon in the first step.
What other vegetables can I add to this casserole?
To pump up the veggies in this dish, there are many different options to choose from. Every vegetable tastes different and adds a new and interesting component to the casserole. You can try asparagus, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, green beans, artichokes, broccoli, or cauliflower.
Can I make bell pepper and bacon breakfast casserole in an instant pot?
You can make this casserole in a pressure cooker for a one-pot meal. This is always appreciated when it comes time to clean up. Cook the bacon and vegetables using the saute function of the instant pot first. Allow the pot to cool and then add the eggs, seal on the lid, and cook for 20 minutes. Carefully release the steam, remove the lid, and serve immediately.
Can I add meat to this dish?
This bell pepper and bacon breakfast casserole can be vegetarian by removing the bacon, or you can amp up the meat portion instead. Depending on which type of meat you choose, it will change the overall flavor of the dish. Some options to choose from including shredded chicken, ground turkey, or ground Italian sausage.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
More Breakfast Casseroles
Start your day off right with a tasty breakfast casserole to add to the menu. Below are a few more favorites with tons of options of flavor to suit your family's tastebuds. Make sure that you bookmark these ideas for later or print out the recipes to make them soon.
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
- Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- Egg and Hashbrown Casserole
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- Potato Ham and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- 4-6 slices of bacon
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 10 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 8-10 dried tomatoes for topping
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Cook bacon until crispy, add garlic, and cook for 1 minute more. Transfer onto paper towels.
- Cook bell peppers and onion with some olive oil over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Transfer into a baking dish, mix in bacon.
- Whisk eggs with salt and pepper. Pour on top of the vegetables and add cheese and dried tomatoes.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
Serve with a side of salsa or hot sauce for a bit more flavor.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
STAUB Ceramics Oval Baking Dish, 9-inch, Dark Blue
GreenLife Bakeware Healthy Ceramic Nonstick, 13" x 9" Rectangular Cake Baking Pan, PFAS-Free, Turquoise
Amazon Basics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven, 7.3-Quart, Red
Mueller Pro-Series 10-in-1, 8 Blade Vegetable Slicer, Onion Mincer Chopper, Vegetable Chopper, Cutter, Dicer, Egg Slicer with Container
OXO Good Grips 3- Piece Wooden Utensil Set
Blue Diamond Cookware Diamond Infused Ceramic Nonstick, 14" Large Frying Pan with Helper Handle, PFAS-Free, Dishwasher Safe, Oven Safe, Blue
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 340mgSodium: 496mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 21g