Sausage Breakfast Casserole is a tasty weekend meal that can be made ahead of time and baked in the morning. It’s made with sausage, onions, bell peppers, eggs, cream, taco seasoning, and cheese. This healthy casserole is exactly what you need to start your day.
- What is Sausage Breakfast Casserole?
- Video Recipe
- How to make breakfast casserole with sausage:
- Tips for success:
- How can I top this sausage breakfast casserole?
- How can I make this dish keto-friendly?
- Can I make sausage breakfast casserole in the crockpot?
- How to store:
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole
What is Sausage Breakfast Casserole?
This breakfast casserole with sausage, onions, bell peppers, eggs, and cheese is perfect for making sure you have plenty of energy for those busy days of yours. Don’t even think about pulling down that box of dry cereal when you’ve got the option to make a delicious breakfast that is much more satisfying. Your whole family will start the day off right with this healthy meal.
- 1 pound hot ground sausage: You can use mild sausage, ground turkey, or chicken as well.
- 1 medium white onion, chopped: White onions are best for baking.
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped: You can substitute a green, yellow, or orange bell pepper.
- 8 eggs: Make sure your eggs are fresh and not cracked in the box.
- 1⁄3 cup cream: Heavy cream can be substituted with half and half, milk, or left out altogether.
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning: Use a packet of taco seasoning or a mixture of chili powder and cumin.
- 2 cups shredded cheese: Cheddar cheese goes best with this type of dish, but you can use mozzarella instead.
- 1 avocado, chopped cilantro for serving: A sliced avocado and chopped cilantro are a delicious fresh addition to this baked dish.
How to make breakfast casserole with sausage:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Heat some olive oil in a cast-iron skillet and saute bell pepper and onion for 5-7 minutes or until softened and lightly golden.
3. Add sausages into the pan and break them down with a fork. Cook for 10 minutes, then season with salt and taco seasoning.
4. Whisk eggs with cream, salt, and pepper.
5. Transfer meat into the baking pan and pour the egg mixture on top.
6. Sprinkle the top with cheese.
7. Bake and serve topped with sliced avocado and cilantro.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best sausage breakfast casserole you've ever had.
- You can also use sausage links if you can’t find ground sausage. Be sure to peel the sausage out of the casing before using it.
- Add some extra veggies to this dish. Try zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, yellow squash, butternut squash, or eggplant.
- Change the flavor profile by using a different spice combination. Try oregano and basil, cardamom and cumin, or turmeric and ginger.
How can I top this sausage breakfast casserole?
Try tater tots, hashbrowns, diced fresh potatoes, biscuits, or crescent rolls if you want to add a fun top layer to this casserole.
How can I make this dish keto-friendly?
Good news, this casserole is already keto-friendly! There’s no need to change any ingredients to make this dish low-carb.
Can I make sausage breakfast casserole in the crockpot?
Yes, you can make this dish in a slow cooker. Follow the steps by cooking the ingredients on the stovetop and then pouring them into the crockpot bowl. Place the lid on, set to low, and cook for eight hours.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
How can I make this casserole creamier?
You can add four ounces of cream cheese or top it with cheddar or mozzarella cheese.
Can I make this breakfast casserole ahead of time?
You can make this ahead of time, place it in the fridge, and then cook it in the morning when you’re ready to eat. This overnight dish is perfect for holiday mornings.
Can I make gravy to go with this casserole?
You can make a gravy or sauce to go with this dish in a separate pan. When it’s ready, pour it over the top of your serving.
- 1 pound hot ground sausage
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup cream
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 avocado, chopped cilantro for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Heat some olive oil in a cast-iron skillet and saute bell pepper and onion for 5-7 minutes or until softened and lightly golden.
- Add sausages into the pan and break them down with a fork. Cook for 10 minutes, then season with salt and taco seasoning.
- Whisk eggs with cream, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer meat into the baking pan and pour the egg mixture on top. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve topped with sliced avocado and cilantro.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 601Total Fat: 50gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 346mgSodium: 1178mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 28g