Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole is a creamy dish made with shredded potatoes, butter, soup, sour cream, onions, and cheese. It’s easy to make the night before and pull it out and bake in the morning when you’re ready to eat. It makes breakfast healthy and delicious.
- What is Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole?
- Video Recipe
- How to make hashbrown breakfast casserole:
- Tips for success:
- How can I make this hashbrown casserole in a crockpot?
- Can I make hash brown casserole a main dish?
- Can I make this dish in an instant pot?
- How to store:
- Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
What is Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole?
This homemade hashbrown casserole recipe is even better than the Cracker Barrel version. Make it the night before, put it in the fridge overnight, and bake it in the morning for an easy breakfast. Your whole family will love eating a hot breakfast and will start the day with energy. That’s something we all need right?!
- 1 1⁄2 pounds (750g) frozen hash browns, thawed: You can buy shredded potatoes in the vegetable freezer aisle at the grocery store.
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter: Unsalted butter works best in this recipe.
- 12 oz canned cream of chicken soup: You can find this in the soup aisle at the grocery store.
- 10 oz (300g) full-fat sour cream: Make sure to use full-fat sour cream since it contributes the creaminess of the dish.
- 1 medium onion, sauteed: White onions work best in this casserole.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheese: Cheddar cheese is a great pairing with hashbrowns.
How to make hashbrown breakfast casserole:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Combine shredded potatoes with melted butter, cream soup, sour cream, onion, and 1 cup of cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Spread the mixture in a baking pan and top with leftover 1⁄2 cup cheese.
4. Bake at 190C/375F for 1 hour 30 minutes. If cheese gets too brown - cover the casserole with foil.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best hashbrown breakfast casserole you've ever had.
- There’s no need to thaw the hashbrowns for this casserole before combining it with the other ingredients.
- Serve with eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, or yogurt and granola.
- This hashbrown casserole is gluten-free.
How can I make this hashbrown casserole in a crockpot?
If you want to make this casserole in a slow cooker, you can start it the night before and have it ready in the morning. Combine all the ingredients, pour them into the bowl, top with cheese, place the lid on, and set the time to eight hours on low. Remove the lid and serve immediately.
Can I make hash brown casserole a main dish?
This casserole is served as a side dish but you can make it a main course by adding bacon, ham, cooked ground beef, or cooked ground sausage.
Can I make this dish in an instant pot?
To make this casserole in a pressure cooker, combine the ingredients, pour them into the bowl of the instant pot, and seal on the lid. Set the time to 30 minutes, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, carefully remove the lid, and serve.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
How can I make this casserole spicy?
Add cayenne pepper, chili flakes, tabasco sauce, or diced jalapenos.
Do I have to use cream of chicken soup?
No, you don’t need to use cream of chicken soup if you can’t find it or would prefer not to. You can substitute can use cream instead.
Is hashbrown casserole keto-friendly?
No, this casserole has potatoes that are high in carbohydrates.
- 1 1⁄2 pound (750g) frozen hash brown, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cup canned cream soup
- 10 oz (300g) full-fat sour cream
- 1 medium onion, sauteed
- 1 1⁄2 cup cheese
- Combine shredded potatoes with melted butter, cream soup, sour cream, onion, and 1 cup of cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mixture in a baking pan and top with leftover 1⁄2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 190C/375F for 1 hour 30 minutes. If cheese gets too brown - cover the casserole with foil.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 570mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g