Pork Chops Casserole is a tasty dish made with whole pork chops smothered in a creamy gravy and baked until perfectly tender and juicy. The pork chops are lightly seasoned before frying on both sides in a pan until golden brown and then baked in the sauce. It’s a dish you’ll want to make over and over again.
What is Pork Chops Casserole?
This pork chops recipe is quick and easy to make even on a night when you don’t have much time. You simply fry the outside of the pork chops, combine the ingredients for the sauce, place everything in a baking dish and bake in the oven until the pork is juicy and tender and the sauce has thickened.
- 6 tablespoon olive oil: You can use any neutral oil like avocado, grapeseed, safflower, or canola oil.
- 4 pork chops: Thick boneless pork chops work best for this dish.
- 1 ¼ cups bechamel sauce: You can buy jarred bechamel sauce or make your own with a mixture of flour, butter, and milk.
- All-purpose flour: Flour thickens the sauce.
- Salt and pepper: A little seasoning goes a long way with pork.
- 2⁄3 cup chicken stock: Use the best chicken stock you can find.
- 3 medium white onions, chopped: White onions work best for baking in this recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream: A little sour cream makes the sauce creamy.
How to make pork chops casserole:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Season flour with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
3. Dredge pork chops in flour.
4. Cook with 3 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat until golden on both sides.
5. In a separate pan heat up another 3 tablespoon of olive oil and caramelize onions for around 15-20 minutes on the lowest heat.
6. Mix onions with bechamel, stock, and sour cream. Remove from heat.
6. Layer pork chops in a baking pan and top with creamy sauce.
7. Bake for 50 minutes.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best pork chops casserole you've ever had.
- You can add other ingredients like egg noodles or other small pasta or rice to make this dish even more hearty.
- If you’d like to make this dish in an instant pot, just follow these steps, pour the ingredients into the bowl of the pressure cooker. Seal on the lid set the time for 20 minutes, and then quickly release the pressure. Serve it hot.
What other vegetables can I add to this casserole?
Sometimes you need some extra veggies in your dish. Here are some that go really well with pork chops.
Try diced potatoes, green beans, asparagus, mushrooms, cabbage, broccoli, or tomatoes. Add the softer vegetables to the pan about 15 minutes before the cooking time ends so they don’t overcook.
Can I make this pork chop casserole in a crockpot?
To make this dish in a crockpot, follow the directions through sauteeing the pork chops, and add all the ingredients to the bowl of the slow cooker. Place the lid on, set the temperature to high and the time to four hours. Serve it hot.
How can I make this dish creamier?
If you want to make this casserole even creamier, you can add cream cheese, shredded cheese on top, or cream of mushroom soup to the other ingredients before baking. The sauce will become thick and flavorful and will be perfect to spread over the pork chops after setting them on your plate.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
Can I add rice to this casserole?
Yes, you can add white rice, brown rice, or wild rice with the sauce. Be sure to have the correct proportions of liquid to rice depending on which type you choose. It’s one to one for white rice and one to one and a half for brown and wild rice.
How can I make this dish in a crockpot?
Follow the instructions by sauteeing the pork chops and then adding the mixture into the bowl of a slow cooker. Place the lid on, set the time to four hours, and serve immediately.
What other kinds of meat can I substitute for the pork chops?
This dish is delicious with other types of meat like steak or chicken. Make sure the pieces are the same thickness. This may require you to pound them a bit to get them the same size.
- 6 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 pork chops
- 1 ¼ cups bechamel sauce
- All-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 3 medium white onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Season flour with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Dredge pork chops in flour and cook with 3 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat until golden on both sides.
- In a separate pan heat up another 3 tablespoon of olive oil and caramelize onions for around 15-20 minutes on the lowest heat.
- Mix onions with bechamel, stock, and sour cream. Remove from heat.
- Layer pork chops in a baking pan and top with creamy sauce.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 835Total Fat: 53gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 173mgSodium: 308mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 49g