Philly Cheesesteak Casserole is a keto-friendly recipe filled with ground beef, onions, bell peppers, garlic, eggs, cheese, milk, and seasonings. This dish is perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner made in an hour. You’ll love the comforting, old-fashioned flavors that really come through in this dish.
- What is Philly Cheesesteak Casserole?
- Video Recipe
- How to make Philly cheesesteak casserole:
- Tips for success:
- Can I make this Philly cheesesteak casserole dairy-free?
- What can I serve with this casserole?
- How can I make this in a crockpot?
- How to store:
- Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
What is Philly Cheesesteak Casserole?
This low-carb hamburger casserole is perfect for making ahead of time and baking when you’re ready to eat dinner. You can store it in the fridge or freezer until you’re ready to bake it. This is a dish your whole family will love and will be a new addition to your monthly meal rotation.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil: Any neutral oil will work here. Try avocado, grapeseed, canola, or vegetable oil.
- 1 pound ground beef: Use 90/10 lean ground beef in this recipe.
- 1 medium white onion, chopped: White onions are best for baking here.
- 2 green bell peppers: Dice these into small pieces that are all equal in size so they cook evenly.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced: One tablespoon of garlic adds a wonderful flavor to this dish.
- 4 eggs: Eggs combine the ingredients and bind them all together.
- 1 cup cheese, shredded: You can buy pre-shredded cheddar cheese or a block of cheese and shred it yourself.
- 1⁄4 cup milk: Whole milk is best to create a rich, creamy sauce.
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce: A dash of this sauce will add a bit of umami flavor to the ground beef.
- salt and pepper: Some seasonings are needed to bring out all the other flavors in the casserole.
How to make Philly cheesesteak casserole:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Heat olive oil and saute onion and bell peppers for 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir to combine.
3. Mix in ground meat, breaking it up with a fork. Cook for 10 minutes or until fully done. Season with salt, pepper. Transfer into a baking pan.
4. Whisk eggs with milk, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
5. Pour eggs on top of the meat and sprinkle cheese on top.
6. Bake for 40 minutes.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best Philly cheesesteak casserole you've ever had.
- Top with pecans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, corn flakes, ritz crackers, sliced almonds, fried onion strings, or Fritos for a crunchy layer.
- Some other options you can add in are potatoes, rice, pasta, tater tots, mushrooms, or asparagus.
- You can make this casserole in an instant pot as well as in the oven. Follow the directions and add the mixture to a pressure cooker. Seal the lid, set the time to 20 minutes, and use the quick-release function when it’s done.
Can I make this Philly cheesesteak casserole dairy-free?
If you want to make this dish fit a lactose-intolerant diet, you can make it dairy-free. Remove the milk and cheese from the casserole. Top with a crunchy ingredient idea to balance out the texture.
What can I serve with this casserole?
Some sides to serve with this Philly cheesesteak casserole are Pillsbury crescent rolls or biscuits, crusty white bread, a crunchy green salad, a fruit salad, or a creamy pasta salad. Any of these options will taste amazing with this dish.
How can I make this in a crockpot?
If you have time to start this casserole in the morning, it will cook up beautifully in the crockpot. This might even be easier than cooking it at night when things tend to get crazy.
To make this casserole in a slow cooker, follow the directions and pour the mixture into the bowl of the crockpot. Place the lid on, set it to low for eight hours, and serve it hot.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
What other meat can I use in this dish?
If you want to replace the ground beef, you can use shaved steak, ground chicken, pork, or turkey.
How can I make Philly cheesesteak casserole spicy?
If you want to add a little spice to your dish try some diced jalapenos, poblanos, serranos, or Fresnos. Be sure to taste the peppers before you add them so you know exactly how hot they are. If you add them before tasting, it could ruin the whole dish if you can’t eat it.
How can I make this dish creamier?
To make this casserole a bit creamier add some cream cheese, sour cream, more cheese, or cream of mushroom soup.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Heat olive oil and saute onion and bell peppers for 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir to combine.
- Mix in ground meat, breaking it up with a fork. Cook for 10 minutes or until fully done. Season with salt, pepper. Transfer into a baking pan.
- Whisk eggs with milk, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Pour eggs on top of the meat and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 415Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 211mgSodium: 313mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 30g