Keto Cheeseburger Casserole is a quick and easy recipe made with ground beef, onions, garlic, mayo, ketchup, mustard, and cheese. It’s then baked until golden brown and bubbly. Each bite will remind you exactly why you love cheeseburgers in this low-carb version without the buns. Your whole family will ask for seconds of this savory casserole.
- What is Keto Cheeseburger Casserole?
- Video Recipe
- How to make keto cheeseburger casserole:
- Tips for success:
- What other types of meat can I use in this casserole?
- Which veggies can I add to keto cheeseburger casserole?
- Can I make this dish in a crockpot?
- How to store:
- Keto Cheeseburger Casserole
What is Keto Cheeseburger Casserole?
This keto-friendly ground beef casserole is started in a skillet and finished in the oven. It’s made without eggs and instead, it uses the classic hamburger sauces of ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise. It’s topped with shredded cheddar cheese and tastes just like a cheeseburger without all the extra calories of the bread. This is definitely a casserole you’ll be able to get on board with.
- 1 pound ground beef: Use lean 90/10 ground beef in this recipe.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil: Any neutral oil will work here. Try avocado, grapeseed, canola, or vegetable oil.
- 1 onion, chopped: White onions work best in this baked casserole dish.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced: One tablespoon of garlic adds even more flavor.
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise: Use low-fat mayonnaise to cut the calories even more.
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup: Your favorite ketchup brand will work here.
- 1 tablespoon mustard: A little mustard goes a long way. You can use your favorite brand.
- 1 cup cheese, shredded: You can use pre-shredded processed cheddar cheese or shred your own fresh from a block.
How to make keto cheeseburger casserole:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Saute onions in olive oil until translucent.
3. Add ground beef and break it up with a fork. Cook for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
4. Add garlic, mayo, ketchup, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
5. Pour meat into the baking pan and top with cheese.
6. Bake for 15 minutes.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best keto cheeseburger casserole you've ever had.
- If you’re looking to have a dairy-free dish all you need to do is remove the shredded cheddar cheese from the top.
What other types of meat can I use in this casserole?
Ground beef is traditional in cheeseburgers, but you can also use ground pork, turkey, chicken, or chopped bacon. Any of these will give this dish a different flavor. If you’re of the mind to try something new, give one of these a try!
Which veggies can I add to keto cheeseburger casserole?
If you’re looking to add veggies to this dish you can try asparagus, mushrooms, artichokes, green beans, peas, cauliflower rice, or broccoli. Adding any of these will make the casserole healthier, more filling, give texture, and make it overall tastier.
Can I make this dish in a crockpot?
Yes, you can make this casserole in a slow cooker. All you need to do is follow the instructions and then pour the mixture into the bowl of the crock pot. Place the lid on, set it to low, and cook for eight hours.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
How can I make this dish creamier?
If you want to make this casserole creamier, add more cheese, four ounces of cream cheese, or ¼ cup heavy cream.
Can I add potatoes to this casserole?
Yes, you can definitely add potatoes, but it will no longer be keto-friendly. Try shredded hashbrowns, tater tots, or diced potatoes.
What other seasonings can I use in keto cheeseburger casserole?
Depending on the flavor profile you want your casserole to have you can change the seasonings to match. Some ideas are garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, celery seed, chili powder, or cumin.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 cup cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Saute onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Add ground beef and break it up with a fork. Cook for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add garlic, mayo, ketchup, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Pour meat into the baking pan and top with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 404Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 370mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 25g