Ham and Cauliflower Casserole is an easy recipe that is made with cauliflower, nutmeg, eggs, ham, cheese, and coated with a homemade white sauce. This baked au gratin casserole can be served as an appetizer or side dish with dinner. It’s perfect to bring with you to potluck or holiday parties.
- What is Ham and Cauliflower Casserole?
- Video Recipe
- How to make ham and cauliflower:
- Tips for success:
- Can I make this casserole keto-friendly?
- What other vegetables can I add to this dish?
- What kind of cheese can I use in ham and cauliflower casserole?
- How to store:
- Ham and Cauliflower Casserole
What is Ham and Cauliflower Casserole?
This ham and cauliflower casserole recipe can be made in under one hour from start to finish. You can easily make it before heading out to a holiday party or to go with dinner. These classic flavors combine to make a comforting dish that your whole family will love. It’s easily adjustable for your tastes and preferences too.
- 1 medium cauliflower: Buy a head of cauliflower or a bag of pre-cut cauliflower in the produce section of the grocery store.
- 4 tablespoon butter: Unsalted butter lets you control the amount of salt added to your dish.
- 3 tablespoon flour: All-purpose flour thickens the sauce.
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk: Use whole milk to make a rich, thick sauce.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg: A little nutmeg goes a long way and pairs perfectly with this white sauce and cauliflower.
- 2 egg yolks: Egg yolks lend a pale yellow color to the dish and add a richer flavor.
- 1 1⁄2 cup ham, cubed: Thick ham from the bone is better than using deli meat.
- 1 cup cheese: Use shredded cheddar cheese or grate a block of cheese.
How to make ham and cauliflower:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Boil cauliflower in salted water until half-tender.
3. Whisk butter with flour and start pouring milk in small portions. Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper, and cook for around 10 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
4. Add egg yolks into the white sauce and remove them from the heat.
5. Mix ham, cauliflower, and cream sauce together. Transfer into a baking pan.
6. Top cauliflower bake with shredded cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best ham and cauliflower casserole you've ever had.
- Instead of using cauliflower florets, try using cauliflower rice for a different texture.
- You can remove the nutmeg and use salt and pepper or oregano if you’d like a different flavor profile.
Can I make this casserole keto-friendly?
If you’d like to make this dish low-carb, you can alter it to fit your preferences. Instead of creating a roux with flour, butter, and milk, you can omit the flour and use corn starch instead. This will thicken the sauce and will still taste great.
What other vegetables can I add to this dish?
To make this casserole even healthier try adding some other veggies. These are all great options: broccoli, green beans, sweet peppers, potatoes (scalloped, or diced), asparagus, mushrooms, or artichokes.
What kind of cheese can I use in ham and cauliflower casserole?
This dish includes one cup of shredded cheddar cheese, but you can use parmesan, mozzarella, gruyere, Monterey jack, pepper jack, Havarti, or Swiss to make it even more cheesy.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
How can I make this casserole in a crockpot?
You can easily make this in a slow cooker. Follow the directions, and then pour the mixture into the bowl of a crockpot. Place the lid on, set to high, and cook for four hours.
Can I make ham and cauliflower casserole dairy-free?
Yes, you can make this dish dairy-free by removing the sauce, eggs, and cheese. In this case, you’ll end up with a much more robust cauliflower dish.
How can I make this dish vegetarian?
If you want to have no meat in this casserole it’s easily accomplished by leaving out the ham. You may also want to add more vegetables to make it even healthier.
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cup ham, cubbed
- 1 cup cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Boil cauliflower in salted water until half-tender.
- Whisk butter with flour and start pouring milk in small portions. Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper, and cook for around 10 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- Add egg yolks into the white sauce and remove them from the heat.
- Mix ham, cauliflower, and cream sauce together. Transfer into a baking pan.
- Top cauliflower bake with shredded cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 567mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 17g