Ground beef and cabbage casserole is a delicious dairy-free and gluten-free dinner that can be made ahead of time and baked when you’re ready to eat. It’s made with ground beef, onions, garlic, herbs, rice, tomatoes, cabbage, and cheese. This healthy dish is perfect for busy nights when you want a tasty meal but don’t have much time to make it.
- What is Ground Beef and Cabbage Casserole?
- Video Recipe
- How to make ground beef and cabbage rolls casserole :
- Tips for success:
- Is this dish keto-friendly?
- How can I make this ground beef and cabbage casserole vegetarian?
- How can I top this cabbage roll casserole?
- How to store:
- Ground Beef Cabbage Roll Casserole
What is Ground Beef and Cabbage Casserole?
This easy unstuffed cabbage roll recipe is made with shredded cabbage instead of rolling the ground beef and rice mixture in cabbage leaves. This version is easier to make because you don’t need to worry about breaking the leaves. Just toss it together to get a rustic-looking dish packed with bold flavors.
- 1 pound ground beef: Use lean ground beef in this recipe.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil: Any neutral oil like canola, vegetable, or avocado will work.
- 1 medium white onion, chopped: White onions are best for baking in casseroles.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced: One tablespoon of garlic add extra flavor to the dish.
- 1 tablespoon herbs de Provence: You can also use Italian herbs or a combination of oregano, basil, and parsley.
- 1 cup rice: Use your favorite kind of white rice.
- 1 can tomato puree: A can of puree is easier than making your own.
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste: Concentrated paste goes well with the beef and gives it a rich flavor.
- 1 2⁄3 cup beef stock: Use the best stock you can find or make it yourself.
- 1 medium white cabbage, shredded: White cabbage tastes best in this casserole.
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded: Mozzarella melts, bubbles, and browns nicely.
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan, shredded: Parmesan adds a sharp flavor to the cheese.
How to make ground beef and cabbage rolls casserole :
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Cook ground beef, breaking it up with a fork, with some olive oil until no longer pink, around 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Remove beef onto a plate and use the same pan to saute onions until translucent. Add garlic, herbs, and tomato paste, cook for 1 minute.
4. Add cabbage, tomato sauce, and stock. Cook for around 10 minutes or until cabbage softens up.
5. Mix cabbage and sauce with rice and beef. Cook over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes.
6. Transfer half of the mixture into a baking pan, then top with half of the mozzarella and parmesan. Add more beef and cabbage, cover with leftover cheese.
7. Bake for 25 minutes.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best ground beef and cabbage casserole you've ever had.
- Add some vegetables to your casserole. Try zucchini, yellow squash, red onions, red cabbage, mushrooms, or broccoli.
- If you’d like to switch up the meat, try ground sausage, chicken, or turkey. Each has a slightly different flavor and texture.
- You can exclude any ingredient you don’t like. No tomatoes? No problem. Substitute an ingredient with something you like instead.
Is this dish keto-friendly?
Yes, this dish is already keto-friendly! You don’t need to change anything to make it low-carb. It’s perfect for a healthy meal whether you’re busy or have time to prep and cook this dish the same day.
How can I make this ground beef and cabbage casserole vegetarian?
It might seem obvious to remove the ground beef to make it vegetarian, but you can do so much more! Add other vegetables or change the flavor profile to make it your own.
How can I top this cabbage roll casserole?
If you want to add some tasty toppings, try diced potatoes, hashbrowns, or tater tots before baking. They’ll be nice and crispy when you pull the dish out of the oven. After baking, add some avocados, sour cream, or diced green onions for a fresh pop of flavor.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
Can I use something other than white rice?
You can exchange white rice for brown rice, lentils, canned beans, farro, barley, or tiny pasta. Be sure that whatever you exchange the white rice with can be cooked in the same amount of time or has been pre-cooked.
How can I make this casserole spicy?
Add some diced jalapenos, chili flakes, or cayenne pepper to the dish to make it spicy. Be sure to add only as much or as little as you like.
Can I cook this cabbage casserole in a crockpot?
Yes, you can make this dish in a slow cooker. Just follow the steps up until transferring the mixture to a baking dish. Instead, pour it into a crockpot bowl, cover, and cook on low for eight hours.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon herbs de Provence
- 1 cup rice
- 1 can tomato puree
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 2⁄3 cup beef stock
- 1 medium white cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cook ground beef, breaking it up with a fork, with some olive oil until no longer pink, around 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove beef onto a plate and use the same pan to saute onions until translucent. Add garlic, herbs, and tomato paste, cook for 1 minute.
- Add cabbage, tomato sauce, and stock. Cook for around 10 minutes or until cabbage softens up.
- Mix cabbage and sauce with rice and beef. Cook over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer half of the mixture into a baking pan, then top with half of the mozzarella and parmesan. Add more beef and cabbage, cover with leftover cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 399Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 475mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 28g