Turkey and Pasta Casserole is a quick and easy dish made with ground turkey, cream cheese, broccoli, pasta, and mozzarella cheese. This creamy layered dish is perfect for a weeknight dinner or to make ahead and bake when you’re ready to eat. It’s a casserole your family will request over and over.
What is Turkey and Pasta Casserole?
This creamy ground turkey casserole recipe is simple with ingredients you most likely already have in your fridge and pantry. It’s perfect for freezing for later and eating when you need something quick. It’s also a great meal to gift to friends, family, or neighbors in need. This meal is easily adaptable to your tastes and preferences and can be made keto-friendly simply by removing the pasta. It’s a delicious meal for anyone!
- 7 ounces cream cheese: Full fat cream cheese works best to make casseroles creamy.
- 1 cup cream: Heavy cream can be found in the dairy section of the grocery store and contributes to the creaminess of this dish.
- 1 pound ground turkey: Lean ground turkey gives this meal delicious flavor.
- 1 small head of broccoli: Be sure to cut the broccoli into equal pieces so they are consistent and easy to eat.
- 2 cups half-cooked bow pasta: Small bow-tie pasta is bite-sized and easy to eat.
- 1 cup mozzarella: Melty mozzarella can be shredded or torn from a fresh ball.
How to make turkey and pasta casserole:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Cook ground turkey with some butter or olive oil, breaking up with a fork, for 10 minutes.
3. Add cream, cream cheese and cook for 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Cut broccoli into florets and add into the turkey sauce.
5. Mix bow pasta in it too.
5. Put the casserole into a baking dish and top with mozzarella.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best turkey and pasta casserole you've ever had.
- You can exchange the turkey with ground beef, pork, sausage, or chicken if you can’t find turkey or want to experiment with different meats.
- Some other types of pasta you can use are spaghetti, ditali, Campanelli, penne, ziti, orecchiette, or angel hair pasta.
Which vegetables can I add to this dish?
Sometimes you just want to add some extra veggies to your meal. Add them right to the casserole and skip the side dish. Here are some options you can try, mushrooms, potatoes, zucchini, asparagus, artichokes, tomatoes, cauliflower, and green beans.
Can I make this casserole in an instant pot?
If you want to pull out your instant pot to use or need to use your oven for something else, you can make this dish in the pressure cooker. Follow the instructions by cooking the turkey using the saute mode on the instant pot, add the rest of the ingredients, seal the lid, and set the time to 20 minutes. Quickly release the pressure, carefully remove the lid, and serve it hot.
What can I serve with turkey and pasta casserole?
This dish is the perfect complete meal, but if you want to add some side dishes, here are some options. Try crusty white bread, sauteed asparagus, mashed potatoes, or a fruit salad.
Try to balance the textures and flavors of the casserole with complementing but opposing textures and flavors. This will make the best and most satisfying meal.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
Do I have to use cream and cream cheese in this casserole?
No, you can substitute these ingredients for cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup.
Can I make this dish in a crockpot?
If you need to use your oven for another dish or have more time in the morning to cook than at night, the slow cooker can be ideal.
What can I top turkey and pasta casserole with?
Add a fun and crunchy layer to the top of this dish. Try breadcrumbs, fried onion strings, almond slivers, chopped walnuts, or pepitas.
Turkey and Pasta Casserole
Turkey and Pasta Casserole is a quick and easy dish made with ground turkey, cream cheese, broccoli, pasta, and mozzarella cheese.
- 7 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup cream
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 2 cups half-cooked bow pasta
- 1 cup mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cook ground turkey with some butter or olive oil, breaking up with a fork, for 10 minutes.
- Add cream, cream cheese, and cook for 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut broccoli into florets and add into the turkey sauce. Mix bow pasta in it too.
- Put the casserole into a baking dish and top with mozzarella.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 395Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 229mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 21g
Leave a Reply