Potato and Chicken Casserole is a loaded baked dish made with chicken thighs, potatoes, bacon, mushrooms, cheese, cream, and seasonings. These ingredients combine to make a delicious weekend meal that can also be made ahead of time to fit your busy schedule. This savory casserole will become a family favorite in no time.
- What is Potato and Chicken Casserole?
- Video Recipe
- How to make potato and chicken casserole:
- Tips for success:
- How can I make potato and chicken casserole in the instant pot?
- Can I make this dish creamier?
- What other kinds of potatoes can I use?
- How to store:
- Potato and Chicken Casserole
What is Potato and Chicken Casserole?
This potato casserole recipe is perfect for times when you’ve got a busy day and know you won’t have much time to cook at night. Get it all ready the day before, wrap it up, and put it in the fridge until the next day. All you need to do then is pop it in the oven and bake until it’s heated all the way through. Sprinkle the top with some diced green onions or parsley and you’re ready to eat.
- 6 medium potatoes, chopped: Yukon gold potatoes will work great for this dish.
- 8 slices bacon, cut into pieces: Thick smoked bacon can be cut easier if you put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes before slicing.
- 1 pound chicken thighs, cut into cubes: There’s no need to pre-cook the chicken since you’ll be cooking it in the pan and the baking dish.
- 6 ounces of cremini mushrooms, chopped: White or brown mushrooms can be found in the produce section of the grocery store.
- 3 tablespoons butter: Unsalted butter works best.
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika: If you don’t have smoked paprika, you can just use regular paprika.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder: Use garlic powder not garlic salt otherwise it will be too salty.
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded: You can buy this pre-shredded or shred it yourself.
- 1 cup heavy cream: Heavy cream makes thickens and becomes a sauce.
- 1 teaspoon salt: Kosher salt is best to use when cooking.
- 2 tablespoons flour: All-purpose flour is all you need here.
How to make potato and chicken casserole:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Drizzle potatoes with melted butter, season with salt, paprika, and garlic. Mix to combine.
3. Bake potatoes for 50 minutes or until soft and golden.
4. Cook bacon pieces on low heat until golden and crispy, around 10 minutes.
5. Add in mushrooms and cook for 7 minutes more.
6. Cook until the mushrooms are browned.
7. Combine mushrooms and bacon with chicken pieces, season with salt, and cook for 10 minutes.
8. Mix in flour and pour in the cream. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
9. Transfer into the baking dish.
10. Top with crispy potatoes.
11. Sprinkle with the cheese.
12. Bake for 5-7 minutes.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best potato and chicken casserole you've ever had.
- Add some mozzarella and provolone with the cheddar to make this a three-cheese casserole.
- Mix in one tablespoon of ranch seasoning to give this dish a southern kick.
How can I make potato and chicken casserole in the instant pot?
It’s easy to make this casserole in a pressure cooker if you need the oven space or just prefer using fancy kitchen gadgets. Just follow the directions through number six, pour the mixture into the pot, seal on the lid, and set to cook for 5 minutes.
You can also prep the potatoes in the instant pot instead of the oven. Cook them for 20 minutes and then allow the steam to release naturally for 10 minutes.
Can I make this dish creamier?
This potato casserole is creamy with one cup of heavy cream, but you can add more or trade the cream for another ingredient. Here are some options to choose from:
- sour cream
- cream cheese
- cream of chicken soup
- cream of mushroom soup
What other kinds of potatoes can I use?
These potatoes are cubed and roasted before being added to the casserole. You can really go crazy with the style or type of potatoes you use here, though. Some ideas are mashed, hashbrowns, sweet potato, red, scalloped, or even topped with potato chips!
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and then plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. This will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, without thawing first, it will take longer to cook in the oven. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
What other meats can I use with this potato casserole?
You can exchange the chicken thighs for shrimp, steak, chicken breasts, buffalo chicken, ham, ground turkey, kielbasa, or ground sausage.
How can I make this dish healthy?
To make this chicken and potato casserole healthier, remove the bacon, only use one cup of cheese, remove the cream, and butter.
You can also add extra vegetables like broccoli, green beans, asparagus, zucchini, yellow squash, or tomatoes.
How can I make this casserole spicy?
Spice up your dish by adding hot sauce, jalapenos, poblanos, or red chili flakes.
- 6 medium potatoes, chopped
- 8 slices bacon, cut into pieces
- 1 pound chicken tights, cut into cubes
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Drizzle potatoes with melted butter, season with salt, paprika, and garlic. Mix to combine.
Bake potatoes for 50 minutes or until soft and golden.
Cook bacon pieces on low heat until golden and crispy, around 10 minutes. Addin mushrooms and cook for 7 minutes more.
Combine mushrooms and bacon with chicken pieces, season with salt, and cook for10 minutes.
Mix in flour and pour in the cream. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
Transfer into the baking dish and top with crispy potatoes and shredded cheese.
Bake for 5-7 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 757Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 184mgSodium: 987mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 39g