Pepperoni and Mushroom Casserole is a delicious dish filled with eggs, sausage, onions, mushrooms, dried herbs, chili flakes, cheese, and pepperoni. It’s easy to make and is the perfect overnight dish. You can eat it for breakfast or dinner any day of the week.
- What is Pepperoni and Mushroom Casserole?
- Video Recipe
- How to make pepperoni and mushroom casserole:
- Tips for success:
- What other ingredients can I add to this casserole?
- Can I make this pepperoni and mushroom casserole in a crockpot?
- What can I serve with this dish?
- How to store:
- Pepperoni and Mushroom Casserole
What is Pepperoni and Mushroom Casserole?
This mushroom and pepperoni casserole recipe is a hearty meal that can be made and ready to eat in one hour. This Italian-inspired dish is ideal for days when you are too busy to cook or just don’t feel like doing all the work. Pull this dish out of the freezer or refrigerator, bake, and enjoy!
- 10 eggs: Use large AA eggs that haven’t been cracked in the container.
- 1 1⁄2 pound (750g) sausages: You can use ground sausage or kielbasa sausage.
- 1 medium red onion, chopped: Red onion goes well with pepperoni, sausage, and mushrooms.
- 12 oz (350g) cremini mushrooms, sliced: Be sure to wash the mushrooms before slicing to get any remaining dirt off of them.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil: Any neutral oil will work for this recipe.
- 2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs: If you don’t already have an Italian blend, you can use oregano, basil, and parsley.
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes: This is optional to make it spicy. Adjust to your tastes.
- 1 cup shredded cheese: Mozzarella cheese works best for this recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup milk: Use whole milk in this recipe if possible.
- pepperoni slices: Layer as many pepperoni slices on top as you would like.
How to make pepperoni and mushroom casserole:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Saute onion with some olive oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms, season with salt, and cook for 5-6 minutes.
3. Remove mushrooms from the pan and add some more olive oil. In the same pan cook sausages, breaking them with a fork, for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool down slightly.
4. Whisk eggs with milk, salt, pepper, chili, and dry herbs. Add mushrooms and cooked sausage in.
5. Pour egg mixture into a baking pan, top with cheese, and bake at 190C/375F for 30 minutes.
6. Add pepperoni slices on top and bake for 10 minutes more.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best pepperoni and mushroom casserole you've ever had.
- Some other types of cheese you can use are cheddar, Colby jack, Monterey jack, or pepper jack.
- You can substitute the sausage with ground beef or leave out any ingredient that you don’t like. This dish is very customizable to fit your tastes.
What other ingredients can I add to this casserole?
If you’d like to add some other meat or vegetables to adjust to your preferences, here are some great options. Try ground beef, cauliflower, zucchini, pasta, sliced black olives, bell peppers, garlic, kale, or spinach.
Can I make this pepperoni and mushroom casserole in a crockpot?
You can definitely make this casserole in a slow cooker. Follow the instructions for sauteing the onions, mushrooms, and sausage. Then combine everything together and pour it into the bowl of the crockpot. Place the lid on, set the time to four hours on high, and serve immediately.
What can I serve with this dish?
This casserole is a meal in itself, but you can serve it with sides if you’d like. Some tasty options are chewy white bread, tater tots, hashbrowns, diced potatoes, biscuits, roasted vegetables, or fruit salad.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
Is this casserole keto-friendly?
Yes, this dish is low-carb and will fit in a keto diet. There’s no need to make another meal for the rest of the family since everyone will love this casserole.
Do I need to use chili flakes to make this dish spicy?
No, the chili flakes are optional. You can cut down the amount or leave them out entirely based on your tastes and preferences.
Can I make this pepperoni and mushroom casserole in an instant pot?
Yes, you can also make this dish in a pressure cooker. This makes it a one-pot meal when you saute the onions, mushrooms, and sausage in the instant pot. Mix in the rest of the ingredients, seal on the lid and cook for 20 minutes. Carefully release the pressure, remove the lid, and serve immediately.
Pepperoni and Mushroom Casserole
Pepperoni and Mushroom Casserole is a delicious dish with eggs, sausage, onions, mushrooms, herbs, chili flakes, cheese, and pepperoni.
- 10 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 pound (750g) sausages
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 12 oz (350g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- pepperoni slices
- Saute onion with some olive oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms, season with salt, and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from the pan and add some more olive oil. In the same pan cook sausages, breaking them with a fork, for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool down slightly.
- Whisk eggs with milk, salt, pepper, chili, and dry herbs. Add mushrooms and cooked sausage in.
- Pour egg mixture into a baking pan, top with cheese, and bake at 190C/375F for 30 minutes.
- Add pepperoni slices on top and bake for 10 minutes more.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 248mgSodium: 193mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 12g
Leave a Reply