Muffin Egg Casserole is a quick and easy dish made with ciabatta, chorizo, mozzarella, mustard, and red bell peppers. This mixture is poured into individual muffin cups and baked until it’s cooked through. These delicious little breakfast bites will fill you up and start your day out right.
What is Muffin Egg Casserole?
This muffin tin egg casserole recipe is a healthy, keto-friendly breakfast. The combination of spicy chorizo sausage, onions, bell peppers, cheese, and eggs is mouth-watering and oh so tasty!
Make this dish the night before, store it covered in the fridge, and then bake the next morning. It’s a dish your whole family will enjoy and help start them off with energy and a full stomach before starting their day.
- 8 eggs: Use large AA eggs for the best results.
- 1 small ciabatta, cut into cubes: Thick bread will make these eggs even more filling and thick.
- 2⁄3 cup chorizo, sliced: You can find chorizo by the sausage in the meat section of the grocery store.
- 1 1⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella: Buy pre-shredded, processed cheese or buy a block and shred it yourself with a food processor or hand grater for better results.
- 2⁄3 cup milk: Whole milk works best in this dish.
- 2 teaspoon grainy mustard: You can use dijon or whole-grain mustard here.
- salt and pepper: A little seasoning will bring out the other flavors.
- 1 medium white onion, chopped: Finely chop the onion so you won’t get big chunks of onion in your bite.
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped: Finely chop the bell pepper as well.
- olive oil: Olive oil will grease the muffin tin so the eggs won’t stick when you pull them out.
How to make muffin egg casserole:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Coat a small cooking pan with some olive oil and saute pepper and onion over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, until soft and slightly golden.
3. Whisk eggs with milk, salt, pepper, and mustard.
4. Fill muffin pan cups with onion and pepper mixture, top with ciabatta, and pour the egg mixture over the top.
5. Add chorizo and cheese on top. Bake at 190C/375F for 15-18 minutes.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best muffin egg casserole you've ever had.
- Instead of using mozzarella cheese, you can use a Mexican blend, Colby jack, cheddar, Havarti, Gruyere, or Monterey Jack.
- Serve this casserole with mixed fruit, toast, bacon, yogurt, and granola, or other healthy breakfast foods.
What other ingredients can I use in this casserole?
If you want to make these egg bites even more delicious and filling you can add some other ingredients. Try potatoes, hashbrowns, green beans, asparagus, spinach, kale, green onions, or garlic.
Can I use a different kind of meat?
If you can’t find chorizo or want to try a different kind of meat, there are some options you can use.
Try ground beef, bacon, or sausage instead of the spicy chorizo.
Can I make muffin egg casserole ahead of time?
It’s easy to make this dish overnight and then serve it in the morning. It may even help you have a good breakfast when you don’t need to worry about making it the same day. You can focus on getting yourself (or kids) ready instead.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
Do I need to use a muffin tin to make this dish?
If you don’t have a muffin tin or would prefer to use a casserole dish, that’s perfectly fine. Remember the baking time will differ depending on the pan you use. Use a toothpick to test when the center is baked. The toothpick will come out clean when it’s ready.
Can I make muffin egg casserole in an instant pot?
Yes, you can make this casserole in an instant pot. Grease the bowl of the pressure cooker, pour the egg mixture in, and seal the lid. Cook for five minutes, carefully release the pressure, remove the lid, and serve immediately.
Is this casserole keto-friendly?
No, this egg muffin casserole recipe isn’t strictly keto, but you can easily remove the ciabatta bread to make it keto-friendly.
- 8 eggs
- 1 small ciabatta, cut into cubes
- 2⁄3 cup chorizo, sliced
- 1 1⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoon grainy mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- olive oil
- Coat a small cooking pan with some olive oil and saute pepper and onion over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, until soft and slightly golden.
- Whisk eggs with milk, salt, pepper, and mustard.
- Fill muffin pan cups with onion and pepper mixture, top with ciabatta, and pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Add chorizo and cheese on top. Bake at 190C/375F for 15-18 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 163Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 142mgSodium: 318mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 10g