Italian Sausage Breakfast Casserole is a hearty meal made with sausage, rosemary, onions, mushrooms, spinach, garlic, eggs, milk, and cheese. It’s a delicious dish that can feed six to eight people. It’s the perfect overnight casserole and can be put in the oven in the morning for a time-saving meal.
- What is Italian Sausage Breakfast Casserole?
- How to make Italian sausage breakfast casserole:
- Tips for success:
- How can I make this dish in an instant pot?
- Can I make sausage breakfast casserole in a crockpot?
- What can I serve with this breakfast casserole?
- How to store:
- Italian Sausage Breakfast Casserole
What is Italian Sausage Breakfast Casserole?
This cheesy breakfast casserole is a savory combination of ingredients that you can prepare the day before and keep in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake it. You can also freeze this casserole before it’s baked and save it for later. This is a great meal to give to a friend or family member in need of a little extra care.
- 1 pound (500 g) sausage: Ground sausage works best in this recipe.
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary: You can find fresh rosemary in the produce section of the grocery store.
- 1 bell pepper, diced: Use any color of bell pepper that you’d like for this dish.
- 1 onion, chopped: White onions work best when baked in casseroles.
- 7 ounces (200 g) cremini mushrooms, sliced: Be sure to wash the mushrooms before slicing.
- 5 ounces (150 g) spinach: Use fresh or frozen spinach for this dish.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced: Check to make sure the garlic is fresh and not dry after peeling off the skin.
- 10 eggs: Large, fresh eggs will have the best flavor and amount of liquid.
- 1⁄2 cup milk: Use whole milk since it is slightly thicker and won’t make the casserole too liquidy.
- 1⁄2 cup cheese: Shredded cheddar cheese works well with this casserole.
- salt and pepper: A little seasoning brings out the flavors of the other ingredients.
How to make Italian sausage breakfast casserole:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
2. Use some olive oil to saute bell pepper with onions for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Mix in sausages, breaking them up with a fork. Cook for 10 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Mix in garlic.
4. Whisk eggs with salt, pepper, and milk.
5. Transfer vegetables with sausages into a baking pan. Pour eggs on top and sprinkle with cheese.
6. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best Italian sausage breakfast casserole you've ever had.
- If you want to try other meats besides ground sausage, some great options are bacon, ground turkey, ground beef, or pulled pork.
- Add some fresh potatoes like hash browns, tater tots, or diced sweet potatoes.
- This recipe includes mild Italian sausage but you can use maple breakfast sausage instead.
How can I make this dish in an instant pot?
It’s easy to make this casserole in a pressure cooker. Doing so makes it a one-pot meal that is easier to clean up. Simply use the saute function to cook the sausage, onions, garlic, bell peppers, and spinach. Turn off the heat and add in the whisked eggs and milk. Seal the lid on and cook for 20 minutes. Carefully release the steam, remove the lid, and serve immediately.
Can I make sausage breakfast casserole in a crockpot?
To make Italian sausage breakfast casserole in a slow cooker, start the night before you want to eat. This way the meal will be ready for breakfast the next day. Saute the sausage, bell peppers, garlic, onions, and spinach in a pan on the stove. Pour the whisked eggs and milk into the bowl of a slow cooker and add the sausage and vegetables. Cover and cook on low for six to eight hours.
What can I serve with this breakfast casserole?
This cheesy casserole is a full meal on its own, but you can serve sides that complement and balance the textures and flavors. Try biscuits, crescent rolls, grits, cornbread, hashbrowns, or fruit. All of these options pair nicely with the rich and savory casserole.
How to store:
Store any leftover Italian sausage breakfast casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
Is this breakfast casserole keto-friendly?
Yes, this Italian sausage breakfast casserole is low-carb and fits perfectly in a keto diet. You can make this dish for everyone in your family without having to make something different for just one person.
Is this casserole healthy?
This dish is healthy and hearty with sausage, vegetables, and eggs. It’s the perfect filling breakfast to start your day.
How can I make this breakfast sausage casserole spicy?
To make this dish spicy, add chili flakes, jalapenos, or cayenne pepper to the sausage when sauteeing. Be sure to adjust for the level of spiciness you and others in your family can tolerate.
- 1 pound (500 g) sausage
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 7 ounces (200 g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 5 ounces (150 g) spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
- Use some olive oil to saute bell pepper with onions for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Mix in sausages, breaking them up with a fork. Cook for 10 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Mix in garlic.
- Whisk eggs with salt, pepper, and milk.
- Transfer vegetables with sausages into a baking pan. Pour eggs on top and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 322mgSodium: 245mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 14g