Creamy Mushroom Casserole is the perfect weeknight dinner made with penne pasta, chicken stock, garlic, mushrooms, cheese, and soup. These ingredients are combined together and baked until the top is golden brown and bubbly. You can bring this dish to potlucks or holiday parties as well.
What is Creamy Mushroom Casserole?
This creamy mushroom casserole recipe is packed with noodles and fresh mushrooms. You can also make it ahead of time, freeze it, and then bake on a night when you need dinner fast. Freezing is a great option if you want to give dinner to a friend or family member as well. They can keep it frozen or eat it right away. Cooking food for others is always a thoughtful gift!
- 2 cups penne pasta, half-cooked: Any brand of penne will work, just make sure to cook it for about seven minutes then drain it to use in the casserole.
- 1 cup chicken stock: You can use salted or unsalted stock for this dish since it only needs one cup.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil: Any neutral oil will work here. Try avocado, grapeseed, canola, or vegetable.
- 2 garlic cloves: One tablespoon of garlic cloves add a nice flavor without overpowering the other ingredients.
- 14 ounces mixed mushrooms (cremini and oyster), chopped: Any white mushrooms work well here. Be sure to wash them thoroughly before chopping.
- 1 cup cheese: Shredded mozzarella cheese melts beautifully and tastes amazing.
- 2 1⁄2 cups cream of mushroom soup: Campbell’s soup is the perfect brand to use in this recipe.
How to make this creamy mushroom casserole:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Cook chopped mushrooms in plenty of preheated olive oil for 10 minutes or until slightly golden and all of the liquid has evaporated.
3. Add garlic, season with salt and pepper. Pour chicken stock and cream of mushroom soup on top of the mushrooms and stir to combine.
4. Pour creamy sauce on top of the pasta and mix everything together well.
5. Transfer the casserole into a dish and top with cheese.
6. Bake for 15 minutes.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best creamy mushroom casserole you've ever had.
- If you’re looking to add some other ingredients or want to swap out the pasta, try rice (white or wild), broccoli, green beans, cabbage, kale, or asparagus.
- To make it even creamier, add four ounces of cream cheese to the dish.
- Top the casserole with crunchy almonds, bacon, fried onion strings, or bread crumbs for a crunchy finish.
Can I add meat to this casserole?
Yes, you can definitely add meat to this vegetarian dish. Try ground chicken, sausage, beef, or turkey. You’ll want to saute and season it before adding it in with the rest of the ingredients. This will give your casserole even more flavor.
What can I serve creamy mushroom casserole with?
When you’re thinking about what to serve with any dish, it’s best to think about what balances it best. Some ideas for this casserole are pork chops, mashed potatoes, or grilled steak. You can serve it as a side or scoop it right on top of any of these options.
Can I leave out the soup?
If you’d rather have no cream of mushroom soup in your dish, that’s no problem. You can leave it out and replace it with chicken stock, sour cream, or cream cheese. The soup adds flavor as well as liquid, so whatever you replace it with, keep that in mind.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
Can I make this casserole in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can make this dish in a crockpot. Combine the ingredients, add it to the bowl of the slow cooker, place the lid on, set to low, and cook for eight hours.
What other mushrooms can I use?
If you’re looking to try some different mushrooms some great options are portobello, button, king oyster, porcini, hedgehog, or shiitake.
Can I make this dish gluten-free?
Yes, you can make this casserole gluten-free by replacing the pasta and the cream of mushroom soup. There are lots of options that work here including rice, other vegetables, chicken stock, and cream cheese.
Creamy Mushroom Casserole
Creamy Mushroom Casserole is the perfect weeknight dinner made with penne pasta, chicken stock, garlic, mushrooms, cheese, and soup.
- 2 cups penne pasta, half-cooked
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 14 ounces mixed mushrooms (cremini and oyster), chopped
- 1 cup cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups cream of mushroom soup
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Cook chopped mushrooms in plenty of preheated olive oil for 10 minutes or until slightly golden and all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add garlic, season with salt and pepper. Pour chicken stock and cream of mushroom soup on top of the mushrooms and stir to combine.
- Pour creamy sauce on top of the pasta and mix everything together well.
- Transfer the casserole into a dish and top with cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 426mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 9g
Leave a Reply