Chile Relleno Casserole is a vegetarian dish made with poblano peppers, cheese, salsa, and a white cream sauce. It’s quick and easy to make and perfect for dinner or a side dish any night of the week.
What is Chile Relleno Casserole?
This chile relleno casserole recipe is a tasty layered dish that is naturally vegetarian. You can add ground beef or shredded chicken if you’d like as well. It can easily fit your cooking preferences, lifestyle, and tastes. This baked chile relleno dish will be your new favorite party side.
- ⅔ cup roasted poblano peppers: You can either roast fresh poblano peppers yourself or you can buy a can of Hatch green chili peppers instead.
- ⅔ cup + ⅔ cup monterey jack cheese: You can use Colby jack or pepper jack cheese as well.
- 1 cup salsa: Buy the best salsa you can find at the store or make some yourself at home. One good brand is Ortego.
- 3 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons flour: Cook these together to form a roux as a base for the white sauce.
- 1 cup milk: Whisk the milk into the roux and let this simmer until the sauce thickens and can coat the back of a spoon.
How to make chile relleno casserole :
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Melt butter and add flour to it. Whisk and cook for 1 minute.
3. Pour milk into the flour mixture slowly, while whisking constantly.
4. Cook the sauce for 10 minutes, season with salt to taste, and add in the cheese.
5. Next, add in the roasted peppers.
6. Transfer chili sauce into the baking dish and top with half of the cheese.
7. Bake for 15 minutes.
8. Top with salsa and more cheese.
9. Bake for 20 more minutes and serve with your favorite chips.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can use to make this the best chile relleno casserole you've ever had.
- If you’d like to add a little something special, create some easy Bisquick biscuit dough and drop it in dollops over the top of the casserole. They will bake up to form a biscuit layer over your dish.
- You can make this casserole in a crockpot if you have the time and inclination. Just follow the directions through step 4 and then pour the mixture into the bowl of a slow cooker. Place the lid on and cook on high for three to four hours.
Can I make this casserole keto-friendly?
You’ll be happy to learn that this dish is already keto-friendly. It’s important to be able to eat tasty meals while following a keto diet otherwise, it’ll be harder to keep to it. This dish is perfect because it’s delicious and something your whole family will love.
How can I make this dish into a breakfast casserole?
There are a few different ingredients you can add to make this a breakfast dish. Try adding cooked ground sausage, lightly beaten eggs, tomatoes, or potatoes. Heck, you can add any of these whether you’re eating it for dinner or a side dish as well.
What to serve with chile relleno casserole:
While this dish is amazing, you may want to have other things to go along with it. It’s a good idea to balance the flavors and textures of the casserole as much as possible. Try freshly baked bread, a crunchy salad, a pork loin roast, or roasted vegetables.
How to store:
If you have any leftover spaghetti casserole, you can save it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. To reheat it, just place it in the microwave and heat in 30-second increments until it’s heated all the way through.
You can also make this dish ahead of time and freeze it until you’re ready to use it. Wrap it in aluminum foil and then plastic wrap. Label it with the date, name, and baking instructions so you won’t forget in the future. Remember, if you make it from frozen, it will take longer to bake in the oven.
Can I add enchilada sauce with this casserole?
This is definitely an option. You can replace the white cream sauce with red or green enchilada sauce for a different flavor profile.
Can I make chile relleno casserole in an instant pot?
Yes, you can make this casserole in a pressure cooker. Follow the instructions up through number 4 and then pour the mixture into the instant pot bowl. Place the lid on and set the time to 10 minutes. Use the quick release option and serve it hot.
What kind of peppers are chile rellenos made of?
Chile Relleno peppers are roasted poblano peppers just with a different name. Roasting really brings out the rich flavors of the peppers and mellows out the sharpness.
- 2⁄3 cup roasted poblanos or canned Hatch green chiles
- 2⁄3 cup+2⁄3 cup cheese blend
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- Melt butter and add flour into it. Whisk and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour milk into the flour mixture slowly, while whisking constantly.
- Cook the sauce for 10 minutes, season with salt to taste, and mix roasted chili peppers in.
- Transfer the chili sauce into a baking dish and top with half of the cheese.
- Bake at 350F/180C for 15 minutes, then top with the salsa and the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 20 more minutes and serve with your favorite chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 224Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 624mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 9g