Cheesy Potato and Mushroom Casserole is a cheesy dish made with potatoes, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, brie cheese, eggs, cream, chili flakes, and Italian herbs. It can be served as a side dish or for breakfast. You can easily make this dish ahead of time, keep it in the fridge overnight, and pop it in the oven when you’re ready to eat.
- What is Cheesy Potato and Mushroom Casserole?
- Video Recipe
- How to make cheesy potato and mushroom casserole:
- Tips for success:
- What other types of potatoes can I use?
- What other ingredients can I add to this dish?
- Can I add meat to cheesy potato and mushroom casserole?
- How to store:
- Cheesy Potato and Mushroom Casserole
What is Cheesy Potato and Mushroom Casserole?
This potato and mushroom casserole is rich and savory. The Italian seasonings combine with the eggs, brie cheese, and mushrooms to make a dish that’s well-rounded. It has many different levels that all contribute to the pop of flavors you taste.
This easy-to-make dish is definitely one that you’ll make over and over again for your family. It has something for everyone. Being able to make it ahead of time is a great perk so you don’t have to spend time cooking when you have other things to do.
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded: Russet potatoes work best for this dish.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil: Any neutral oil will work here.
- salt and pepper: Some seasonings bring out the other flavors in the dish.
- 5 large cremini mushrooms: Be sure to wash any dirt off the mushrooms before slicing them.
- 1 onion, sliced: A white onion goes well with these other ingredients.
- 1 tomato, cut into cubes: Use a ripe tomato or cherry tomatoes.
- 1 small round of brie cheese: Brie is melty and makes this dish creamy.
- 6 eggs: Use large AA fresh eggs.
- 2⁄3 cup cream: Heavy whipping cream can be found in the dairy section of the grocery store.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes: Red chili flakes are optional to make this dish a little spicy.
- 1 teaspoon dry Italian herbs: You can use a bottle of pre-blended herbs or you can make your own with oregano, basil, and parsley.
How to make cheesy potato and mushroom casserole:
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Combine potato with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
3. Spread in a baking pan and bake at 200C/400F for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, saute onion for 2-3 minutes (medium heat).
5. Add cremini mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes or until all of the liquid has evaporated.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Whisk eggs with salt, pepper, sour cream, chili flakes, and Italian herbs.
8. Spread potatoes in the baking dish with a spoon coating the bottom and the sides evenly.
9. Spread tomato and mushroom filling on the bottom of the pan. Pour eggs on top and add brie cheese pieces.
10. Bake at 200C/400F for 30 minutes.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best cheesy potato and mushroom casserole you've ever had.
- This casserole is healthy and made without any cream of mushroom soup.
- Some other types of cheese you can use are mozzarella, Havarti, Gruyere, parmesan, or cheddar.
What other types of potatoes can I use?
Russet potatoes are the best in baked dishes because they hold together and don’t fall apart in the dish. You can also use Yukon gold, tater tots, mashed potatoes, or small red potatoes. You’ll get a slightly different texture and flavor with each one.
What other ingredients can I add to this dish?
If you want to add some other ingredients to fill out this meal, there are some great options to try. Add in some rice, green beans, broccoli, spinach, kale, garlic, squash, or noodles. You can easily adjust the recipe to fit your preferences and tastes. Leave out ingredients you don’t like or substitute with other items that you like instead.
Can I add meat to cheesy potato and mushroom casserole?
This is a vegetarian dish that works well for breakfast, a side dish, or a full meal. If you want to add meat, try shredded chicken, tuna, ground beef, or chopped ham. Any of these will taste great and elevate the flavor of the casserole.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. Labeling will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, it will take longer to cook in the oven without thawing first. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
Do I need to use the chili flakes to make it spicy?
You can leave them out altogether or use a different ingredient to make it spicy. Try cayenne pepper, jalapenos, poblano peppers, or hot sauce.
What can I serve with this potato casserole?
You can serve this dish with a meat main dish like grilled chicken, barbecue ribs, or a pork loin.
Can I make this dish dairy-free?
If you’re dairy-free, you can alter this dish to fit your needs. You only need to remove the cream for this.
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 5 large cremini mushrooms
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, cut into cubes
- 1 small round of brie cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon dry Italian herbs
- Combine potato with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Spread in a baking pan and bake at 200C/400F for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute onion for 2-3 minutes (medium heat).
- Add cremini mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes or until all of the liquid has
evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk eggs with salt, pepper, sour cream, chili flakes, and Italian herbs.
- Spread potatoes in the baking dish with a spoon coating the bottom and the sides evenly.
- Spread tomato and mushroom filling on the bottom of the pan. Pour eggs on top and add brie cheese pieces.
- Bake at 200C/400F for 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 333Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 221mgSodium: 191mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 12g