Cattle Drive Casserole is a homestyle dish made with ground beef, onions, tomato sauce, biscuits, corn, bell peppers, seasonings, and a creamy topping sprinkled with cheese. The layers of biscuit, ground beef filling, and the creamy top are fun and the perfect weeknight dinner. It’s easy to make and will be your family’s new favorite dish.
What is Cattle Drive Casserole?
This Cattle Drive casserole recipe is not your typical old-fashioned dish. This spin on a classic ground beef casserole is creative with surprising layers all the way through. The creamy mixture spread over the top keeps the moisture in and makes each bite tangy and savory. The biscuits on the bottom give it structure and make it filling. You won’t even need a side dish since the flavors and textures are so well balanced. This is one recipe you’ll want to keep on hand for when you’re craving something delicious.
- 1 pound ground beef: Ground beef gives this dish a delicious beef flavor.
- 7 ounces tomato sauce: Creamy tomato sauce always goes well with ground beef.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese: Cheese is mixed in with the beef mixture and sprinkled on top.
- 2 cups biscuit mix: Biscuit dough is layered on the bottom and creates the base of the casserole.
- 3⁄4 cup warm water: Water is mixed with the biscuit mix to make the dough.
- 1 small white onion: White onions are best for this dish but you can use yellow or red if you want a different flavor.
- 2⁄3 cup corn: You can use canned or frozen corn for this dish.
- 1 red bell pepper: Diced red, green, yellow, or orange bell peppers give the casserole color and flavor.
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream: Sour cream gives the topping a tangy flavor.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise: Mayo mixed with sour cream makes a creamy top layer.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 package taco seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste: These seasonings combine to give this casserole delicious Mexican flavor.
How to make cattle drive casserole :
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this dish. See the recipe card below for the specific recipe instructions.
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Saute the bell peppers and white onion with some olive oil for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the ground beef and break it up with a spatula.
4. Cook for 10 minutes, then season with taco seasoning, garlic, salt, and pepper.
5. Add corn and tomato sauce, mix to combine.
6. Combine biscuit mix with water and knead until sticky dough forms.
7. Spread the dough evenly in a baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 180C/350F.
8. Add meat mixture on top of the dough base.
9. Mix mayo with sour cream and 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
10. Top meat layer with mayo mixture and sprinkle leftover 1⁄2 cup of cheese on top.
11. Bake for 20 minutes at 180C/350F.
Tips for success:
Here are a few tips for success and variations you can try to make this the best cattle drive casserole you've ever had.
- You can replace the biscuits with tater tots or hashbrowns if you’d rather use potatoes or don’t have biscuit mix.
- Add some short semi-cooked pasta to the casserole with the ground beef mixture.
- Sprinkle some crushed tortilla chips over the top of the dish after baking to add some crunchy taco texture to the dish.
Can I make this casserole keto-friendly?
You can easily make this casserole keto-friendly. The most high-carb ingredient is the biscuits. Remove the biscuit dough and this becomes the perfect casserole for a low-carb diet. There’s no need to add anything else, but feel free to add in more vegetables if you’d like.
How can I make this ground beef casserole healthier?
If you’d like to make this dish low-fat and low-carb, simply remove the biscuits and the sour cream and mayonnaise topping. Also, add some vegetables like zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower, garlic, or cabbage. These veggies are good for you and will make this dish even healthier.
Can I make Cattle Drive casserole in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can make this dish in a crockpot. Simply spray the bowl with oil or use a removable crockpot cooking bag to cover the bowl first. Then follow the directions while layering the ingredients in the slow cooker. Place the lid on, set to low, and cook for eight hours.
How to store:
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat it in the microwave with 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
To freeze the entire casserole, wrap it in aluminum foil and then plastic wrap. Label it with what it is, how to cook, and the date. This will help you remember later. Remember that if you cook it from frozen, without thawing first, it will take longer to cook in the oven. Keep the foil on until the last 30 minutes of cooking so the top can brown.
What can I serve with Cattle Drive casserole?
If you want to serve a side dish, try roasted vegetables, a crunchy salad, crescent rolls, Jiffy cornbread, rice, or a pasta salad.
How can I give this dish more Mexican flavors?
If you want to change the flavor profile to make this dish a bit more “south of the border,” trade the tomato sauce for enchilada sauce, and add some chili powder with the other seasonings.
How can I make this dish creamier?
To make this casserole even more creamy, substitute cream of mushroom soup in the beef mixture instead of the tomato sauce.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 7 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2⁄3 cup corn
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Saute the bell peppers and white onion with some olive oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and break it up with a spatula. Cook for 10 minutes, then season with taco seasoning, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Add corn and tomato sauce, mix to combine.
- Combine biscuit mix with water and knead until sticky dough forms.
- Spread the dough evenly in a baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Add meat mixture on top of the dough base.
- Mix mayo with sour cream and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Top meat layer with mayo mixture and sprinkle leftover 1⁄2 cup of cheese on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 694Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 1178mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 32g